Help with gathering current levels for AHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

Re: Help with gathering current levels for AHS

Post by Eccentric »

""
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudie

Post by trudie »

the panel didn't ask for median levels, but for the range of levels that children are working at
In which case, Eccentric, you may be better advised to ask others/the school what grades are attained in the 'lower' and 'higher' levels that straddle the medians at the end of Year 7 at AHS. More often than not, even the 'lower' level of attainment indicate that the child is still on target for their KS3 progress/attainment, which is indicated on some grammar school end of year 7 reports (though I have no idea if it is noted in all of them).

And, it goes without saying really but Sally-Anne's advice about pressing them for the relevance/usefulness of median levels in any regard is worth considering!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

:)
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

To get above a 4A in French you will need to write and speak in a tense other then the present- in general it is normally the near perfect tense which they are taught first. If they only use present tense they can't move into the level 5's.

I'm confused about your comments re science - the secondary curriculum is fundamentally different- my de has covered c1, p1 and b1 in year 7 which he certainly didn't do at primary! We teach the same in the comp I where I work. Again moving up levels isn't so much about acquiring new facts but linking those you have a drawing appropriate conclusions.

I have the expected attainment levels (target ranges) for year 7 & 8 for my sons school but don't know how much help they'll be. You'll be able to see online the achievements for high. amid and lower attainers

Trust me schools aren't trying to cap attainment- they want all the A*'s they can get as so much focus is on league tables
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Trust me schools aren't trying to cap attainment
At primary the new curriculum makes it clear you are not to accelerate but develop 'mastery' of the content.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Guest55 wrote:
Trust me schools aren't trying to cap attainment
At primary the new curriculum makes it clear you are not to accelerate but develop 'mastery' of the content.
But that's not capping attainment is it? Surely it's ensuring thorough understanding - it's like sending kids to University age 13 or whatever they may hav learnt facts but they don't hav maturity of thought / understanding iygwim
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

""
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I just wanted to back up Eccentric. My daughter was in an upper school before passing 12+ and moving.

In Maths, her upper only tested 4-6, so she sat on a 6a for almost whole year. Her Maths teacher wanted a few to do 5 -7 paper but the Head of maths would not allow it. Since moving to Grammar school, she has jumped almost 2 full levels in one year.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Confused, it is fab your daughter is doing so well now.
I'm sorry you and eccentric have poor experience of upper school and comprehensive school respectively, but really wish to emphasise to any parents new to the 11+ experience that many many children do extremely well academically at uppers in county and at a comprehensive on the border of bucks/oxon that I am v familiar with.
Iggy307

Post by Iggy307 »

My dd has just finished year 7 at the comprehensive on the oxon/bucks border and I have been very impressed with her academic achievement this year. Initially I was disappointed that she would not be joining her sibling at gs in Aylesbury but she has achieved similar or exceeded the levels that my eldest attained in year 7. She has settled well, made a huge range of new friends and risen to the challenge of life in a new school beautifully. The school have provided extension work when necessary and have encouraged her out of her comfort zone when needed. She also is on the most able list for science (plus another 3 subjects) and I am confused when you mention "capping" science levels. She has been on a higher level than the "capped 5A" all year and yet again has exceeded that level on her report this week. I did consider entering her for 12+ but very quickly realised that she would easily be able to achieve as well in her comprehensive school as she would gs, she is very happy where she is so it would be silly to move her.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now