Help with gathering current levels for AHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

Re: Help with gathering current levels for AHS

Post by Eccentric »

:oops:
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

For every bit of academic evidence, I could raise a question about its reliability.

For example:
    • Reports for appeal purposes are inconsistent. (Some primary schools overestimate, and have a suspiciously high number of '1' recommendations.)

Upper schools vary in the amount of support they are willing to provide for 12+/13+ appeals.

CATs and EP reports come with confidence intervals (warnings about reliability).
      See:
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We can be pretty sure that no one will give you confidence intervals for your 11+ or 12+ !!!
      (You, quite properly, will want to argue that the 12+ result is not reliable!)
My suggestion in the Q&As is that what should be taken into account is the totality of the academic evidence.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The more 'indications' of high ability, the better!

I'm sceptical that an appeal panel would or should rely on any direct comparison with a grammar school's median levels.
Why would they do that? It sounds like the equivalent of "There's a minimum qualifying score of 121, but we require evidence that your child ought to have scored much higher"!
What were the exact words of the question asked?
And what were the exact words of the answer?
Etienne
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

""
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Can I PM you?
Sorry, no - but information could be sent to the Appeals Box:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

""
Last edited by Eccentric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Not sure if this is of any use as they are for END of year 8 but for another grammar in Aylesbury, the average EXAM results are (bear in mind these differed to the results for the end of the year in my childs report but there was no average shown for these):

English - 6b
Maths - 7b
Science - 6b
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

""
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Eccentric.

I'm glad that you seem to be making progress with this. I've had a PM from a member who was also at the hearing, but who doesn't want to be identified because she hasn't posted publicly that she is appealing.

According to her, the panel didn't ask for median levels, but for the range of levels that children are working at at the start of Y7.

The LA Rep (not a "consultant" as such - probably a retired ex-Primary Head who the LA employs to represent the school) didn't have the information to hand, so there was an adjournment while he went off to get the information.

When he came back he presented what he said were median levels for the start of Y7.

Although I would imagine that the range of levels would be of interest to the panel, I can't imagine that median levels would be of much use to them at all.

You might like to ask about it at your individual hearing? Possibly something like "How much significance does the panel attach to the median levels that were presented at Stage One?" You could then follow up with the information you have now verified with the school.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

""
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, Y8 levels - sorry - my mistake there!