Apology

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Apology

Post by Guest55 »

The other new girls will be new too - so there are at least 10 potential friends. Not everyone finds friends in Year 7 and I would not worry about it ... I'm sure there will ne a wider choice of clubs too.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Very well done Eccentric. You never caused me any offence but very few people are big enough these days to apologise. That takes great strength of character.
I really hope your daughter will be very happy indeed. After all that is what it's all about.
trudie

Post by trudie »

Echoing all good wishes!

We have experience of 'late joining' - it went remarkably more smoothly that we might have anticipated, and I do hope that is the same for your DD.

Well done. You were obviously always fighting her corner, and that is no bad thing in any respect.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Congratulations on your appeal success, I hope your daughter settles well and is happy in her new school.
I would not worry about "trying to prove herself" children don't really think like that tbh, she should just quietly settle in and join a few clubs, keeping a low profile and putting feelers out. The teachers certainly won't be judging her and its probable that her peers will be in different form groups from last year anyway, so she can just melt in.
Well done though, brilliant news.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Eccentric I'm so pleased for you and your dd. I hope she has a great start in September and do please let us know how she gets on. Enjoy the rest of your summer holiday!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Eccentric,

New children joining my dc's school are definitely the minority, maybe one or two in Y8 and not often after that, so a lot less "newbies" than your DD has around her. The boys barely blink! (any conversation is usually around wondering who left, they are so unobservant!)

With a later start date, I think understandably, parents are usually more anxious about whether their child will fit in with established friendship groups but the reality is, they are still very fluid at this point, and most schools jiggle kids about with new tutor groups or options choice groups or setting groups, so I am sure she will make friends fairly quickly.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Eccentric,

New children joining my dc's school are definitely the minority, maybe one or two in Y8 and not often after that, so a lot less "newbies" than your DD has around her. The boys barely blink! (any conversation is usually around wondering who left, they are so unobservant!)

With a later start date, I think understandably, parents are usually more anxious about whether their child will fit in with established friendship groups but the reality is, they are still very fluid at this point, and most schools jiggle kids about with new tutor groups or options choice groups or setting groups, so I am sure she will make friends fairly quickly.
I am sure you are right. She is looking forward to joining so much and that is so refreshing. I have a light hearted and very happy child at the moment. Lovely. Now all we need is some summer weather!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD moved from a comprehensive to a grammar school a week and a bit before the end of year 7, two years ago, one of three girls to have gained in-year places at that time. The girls in her new form were very welcoming, inviting her to sit with them on the train etc. Come the new term, she wasn't really part of that particular 'friendship group', but she soon found a new group of like-minded girls as well as keeping in touch with friends from her old school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Hi Eccentric really great news for you and your DD - you and she must be delighted. I know it's been tough on you as our DDs both sat the 12 + on the same day and you have just had to keep going through what I can only imagine to be a highly stressful and mentally draining situation to get to your goal. You got there ! Congratulations :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Congratulations, Eccentric! I read your posts with interest and sympathy, and I'm so glad your daughter has been offered a place. I hope she will be happy and that grammar will fulfil her needs. When new girls have joined my daughter's school the other girls have been very welcoming - and if there are several girls joining the school it will be much easier as she won't be by herself. Friendship groups are constantly changing at this age anyway (in our experience).