Starting in year 8 experiences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Re: Starting in year 8 experiences

Post by Eccentric »

Off the subject of homework. My daughters comment one week into her new school yesterday was the thing that she has noticed more than anything is that the other girls are so kind and helpful. Long may it continue.

Back on the subject of homework, last night's took an hour - not too onerous. I hope that this is the form for things to come :)
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

The thing we have noticed the most about Y8 entry is that text books still exist.

U.S seemed to live on a diet of A4 paper hand outs whereas we now have proper books in our possession (OK so they are one more thing to loose/forget but -- )

Our Y8 entry has so far been a positive experience and despite spending the summer worrying about not being clever enough DS seems to be in the top half of the year group judging by the sets he is in. Thus his confidence has soared and he is currently a very happy chap. He is now able to walk to and from school on his own with his friends which is great compared to last year's bus journey.

In terms of Homework - little so far - except covering books in sticky back plastic which seems to have been delegated to me. So far I have managed to get my homework in on time!!

Hope everyone else is settling into their new schools OK - be it year 7,8 or 9.

BB22
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Lovely to hear he's settling in nicely at his local school BB22. Much easier and cheaper for you as it should be :D

I am sure the Uppers around here are full of DC who would easily hold there own at Grammar. Frankly you only have to look at some of their GCSE results to see that.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Thank you Tolstoy.

I so agree re the uppers. Ds was by no means top dog at his U.S but it is great for him to be back with friends & have that bit of independence.

All the best to you & yours.

Bb22
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thank you BB22
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Reporting in with an update on my DD who has just started Yr 8 in grammar school !
DD is now actually enjoying school and looking forward to going in and her sunny nature and her love of learning has re-emerged. She is enthusiastic about her subjects and likes all the teachers. She is just generally impressed by the set up ; she had minimal homework last year and is not complaining about what she is being given now but I do think she has fallen into some very bad habits in terms of effort - partly because she did not perceive that her genuine efforts in homework were recognised in Yr 7 upper school. she had a wobble today when she mixed up Week 1 & 2 timetables - not used to them - but it's sorted out now.

Fingers crossed - the waiting for your DC's results starts now and it is an awful wait...Good luck everyone and all the lovely DC's doing their best this week.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Kata girl wrote:Reporting in with an update on my DD who has just started Yr 8 in grammar school !
DD is now actually enjoying school and looking forward to going in and her sunny nature and her love of learning has re-emerged. She is enthusiastic about her subjects and likes all the teachers. She is just generally impressed by the set up ; she had minimal homework last year and is not complaining about what she is being given now but I do think she has fallen into some very bad habits in terms of effort - partly because she did not perceive that her genuine efforts in homework were recognised in Yr 7 upper school. she had a wobble today when she mixed up Week 1 & 2 timetables - not used to them - but it's sorted out now.

Fingers crossed - the waiting for your DC's results starts now and it is an awful wait...Good luck everyone and all the lovely DC's doing their best this week.
Hi Katagirl,
I am delighted to hear that your Dd has had a good start too. Dd is also finding that the teaching is much more interesting. Lessons seem to be linked so if they are doing something in Geography that do it in tech too.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Thanks Eccentric and likewise to you and your DD - I am pleased to hear your DD is so settled and happy after reading how upset and frustrated she was in Year 7.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Kata girl wrote:Thanks Eccentric and likewise to you and your DD - I am pleased to hear your DD is so settled and happy after reading how upset and frustrated she was in Year 7.
Just goes to show that our Dds know what is best for them :D Dd felt confident and said she felt as though she fitted it to her new school right from the first visit and said the hated last years school right from the first visit. This had nothing to do with it being a GS or not.
On the homework front to continue this thread. 3 subject set for this weekend so not too bad certainly no more than the comp set. One subject was a surprise though because it should have been set on Wednesday and wasn't. This was meant to be a joint homework with the girl that Dd sits next to in class who Dd says is very bossy and wanted to take over in class so did more of the typing than she did consequently Dd is having to do the lions share of the homework. Apparently that is fair because the other girl did more work (typing) than Dd did even though Dd did the research in class. I hope the teacher has eyes (I am not going to interfere.) it was interesting research (a good learning exercise) and Dd has done an excellent job of producing a leaflet to demonstrate her research.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Nice to hear it is all going well for DD Kata. It's a tough decision to whether to put them through the 12+ and move them glad to hear you made the right choice. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now