Some questions ahead of next weeks test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Re: Some questions ahead of next weeks test

Post by Tolstoy »

DC not taking a watch either. We discussed it and reasoned he would spend vital time checking it and possibly panicking.

Re answering in order you will just have to drum it in to her. It's not much different, instead of leaving a question as she has been doing just tick a box and move on to favoured types. If she is used to leaving questions she may well know exactly which ones to go back to time allowing and give them a second go without having to mark them especially if she consistently ticks first or last box they will stand out.

Do it gently with a short test first as confidence building maintaining is the main target at present.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I definitely confirm my earlier thoughts, if a watch is not very much the norm it can be a distraction not a help.

Try photocopying a blank answer sheet twice or more, one with big chunks of multi choice answers, now write a vertical list of letters that are the options a-d or whatever and that correspond with the answer sheet, leave gaps, put in "don't know" ?? or squiggles for about ten out of every fifty or so questions. Now get her to transpose it, really really quickly, do it once with you reading it out, once with her reading it next to her, but fast fast fast.
You may be lucky, but it is a tutor trick that really surprised some kids with the results, I learnt that number two son was destined to fail by doing this, ho hum, at least we knew!
Remember if there is no best guess stick to one letter for blanks, particularly any left over questions on the last warning, my son found my trick of choosing a swear word that shared the first letter highly amusing and very apt. E.g.. b for blast (the most pre friendly :wink: )
Good luck
patricia

Post by patricia »

Re the watch...

My children have been primed for many months. Lessons do not begin unless they are wearing one.

Agree if not used to it could be a distraction at this stage in the process.

Patricia
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

southbucks3 wrote: Try photocopying a blank answer sheet twice or more, one with big chunks of multi choice answers, now write a vertical list of letters that are the options a-d or whatever and that correspond with the answer sheet, leave gaps, put in "don't know" ?? or squiggles for about ten out of every fifty or so questions. Now get her to transpose it, really really quickly, do it once with you reading it out, once with her reading it next to her, but fast fast fast.
You may be lucky, but it is a tutor trick that really surprised some kids with the results, I learnt that number two son was destined to fail by doing this, ho hum, at least we knew!
Remember if there is no best guess stick to one letter for blanks, particularly any left over questions on the last warning, my son found my trick of choosing a swear word that shared the first letter highly amusing and very apt. E.g.. b for blast (the most pre friendly :wink: )
Good luck
What would you advise they put down for numerical questions that they can't answer (the ones with columns of digits) ?