MYTHS & LEGENDS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

MYTHS & LEGENDS

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have started a new Sticky on this subject, by popular demand.

If you have heard a rumour about the 11+ in Bucks that you feel simply can't be true, please post it here and we will deal in facts!

The original thread from 2009 is here, minus posts that related solely to the old GL test: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... th&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most recent thread on the same topic is here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=43415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Re: Bucks 11+: Myths and Legends!

Post by Guest55 »

The 'rumour' I still hear is that the Bucks GS are only 'for the exceptionally able'.

A recent letter home from a Primary school [name withheld] was that only 1% to 3% qualify ... clearly the Head had not even read the booklet s/he had given out to the Year 5.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/3127441 ... esting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
booellesmum

Re: MYTHS & LEGENDS

Post by booellesmum »

Ohhhhh dear. Awful from a Head.
Interesting booklet, thanks for sharing.We are Birmingham and until I discovered this forum I never realised that Grammar schools in different areas select in different ways. Naively thought everyone selected the way Birmingham do. I am being educated!
Dollydripmat

Re: Pass test - get place?

Post by Dollydripmat »

Just curious SA what is a feeder school? Are they state schools? Is there an advantage to being in one of these schools? Dollyx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dollydripmat wrote:Just curious SA what is a feeder school? Are they state schools? Is there an advantage to being in one of these schools? Dollyx
There is no such thing as a "feeder school" for a Bucks grammar. All children are equal, dependent on qualification, catchment and distance.

If you mean Partner Schools, they are mainly private schools that are given the right to administer the 11+ exam on their own premises, provided they play nicely.

Mostly they are Bucks prep schools, but there are also some state/prep schools in adjoining counties that have the same privilege because they have fairly large numbers taking the test each year.

The process keeps a thousand or so kids out of central testing, and the kids get to do the test on familiar territory.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks for the clarification SA, I misunderstood. Dollyx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

No problem at all, Dolly. :D

I have teleported you to this new Sticky, where the fun will doubtless continue!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dolly, I have just realised what you meant. I used the term "feeder schools" to indicate "all primary schools within a given (catchment) area".

Sorry for creating a misunderstanding!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

One of the saddest myths that I have heard is that borderline 11+ pass children struggle at Grammar School. All the research shows the opposite - that, it is this group of children who improve the most and get the most out of the environment.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Birmingham had feeder schools many years ago. The term was used to mean the primary schools closest to a Senior school. The children who attended those primarys would go to that particular senior school automatically if so wished. There are no feeder schools now allocation is by distance. Not sure about other areas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now