John Hampden OOC travel - Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumoftwo76

John Hampden OOC travel - Reading

Post by mumoftwo76 »

is there anyone travelling to JHGS from Reading? We really like this school for my son and wondered what the travel options were. Last three years they have accepted children beyond our catchment which is positive, fingers crossed..
Last edited by mumoftwo76 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: John Hampden OOC travel - Reading

Post by scary mum »

I would say it would be an awful journey. Remember several of the Bucks grammar schools have had children drop out in year 7 this year because of long journeys that are unsustainable for 5 or 7 years.
scary mum
mumoftwo76

Post by mumoftwo76 »

Thanks scary mum, I am not phased by the 'awful' journey. Just wondered what alternatives there were to driving. Unfortunately for us, children travel as far as Oxford to get to Reading boys, which means we are likely to be outnumbered to get a place in our local Grammar school. If people have dropped out it may be due to their personal circumstances, however there still are many happy children OOC at JHGS.
Last edited by mumoftwo76 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Move nearer to HW.

If you've ever been near the school in the morning you would know what a nightmare it is - the Handy Cross roundabout is notorious. There are roadworks planned so it is only going to get worse - there are three Secondary schools and a hospital within a very small area - oh and a few Primary schools just to add to the fun.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I agree with Guest55 move - I'm catchment for JHGS but one (although not the deciding) reason for choosing SWBGS is the journey / Handy Cross and we're only 6 miles away! Seriously it would be madness to consider it! I don't think any school is worth a journey like that - you have many options closer to home.

There is a bus which goes from Reading to Wycombe and then you would need to walk up the hill. It would be a hideous journey - I would not be prepared to do it as an adult!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

kittymum wrote:There is a bus which goes from Reading to Wycombe and then you would need to walk up the hill. It would be a hideous journey - I would not be prepared to do it as an adult!
If that is the bus I think it is, there is a stop quite near to JHGS so you wouldn't need to walk up the hill. However, it seems to leave Reading at 7.40am and won't arrive at JHGS until 8.44am so any delay and DS won't be there on time.

I agree with other posters that this would be a horrendous journey as there are so many bottlenecks when approaching from your direction.

Maybe a trial run one morning would help with your decision.
mumoftwo76

Post by mumoftwo76 »

Thanks for your advice. Kitty mum what is SWBGS like?
mumoftwo76

Post by mumoftwo76 »

BucksBornNBred thank you for the details, would you know the bus number? Plan is to drive there and back but always good to have a backup incase.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you tried the journey in the morning or evening?

What about Parents evenings, clubs, school events, school visits ...? The journey is not sustainable.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Rayyan76 wrote:BucksBornNBred thank you for the details, would you know the bus number? Plan is to drive there and back but always good to have a backup incase.

If it's the one I'm thinking about the number is the 850. I see it going from the cemetery junction area then goes along the A4 (I think some use it to get to Piggot school as well).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now