feeling nervous!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daffy

Re: feeling nervous!

Post by Daffy »

duffymoon wrote:
Lillie wrote:I think there is some misunderstanding here about the standardisation process.

No marks are taken away from a child because of their birthday. The standardisation process works by comparing the performance of the cohort of children in each birth month and also is supposed to iron out any differences in difficulty of the tests between years. So September born children are standardised with other September children, October with October and so on through the year. It is theoretically possible that the cohort of children born in the following August could outperform the September children though I don't know if that has ever happened! There are no marks given or taken away in the standardisation process.

The Bucks test is not marks "out of 180" - that is merely the standardised score. 180 used to be the highest score in the old GL Assessment tests, though I think last year the scores went up to 199 or similar. The only constant is that the qualifying score remains 121.

I know at this stage it's very difficult to stop worrying but the wait will soon be over. Wishing you and your DCs all the very best.
Notwithstanding the above, surely it is still the case that an August born can pass with a lower raw score than a September born (In the old style Bucks 11+ and August born could pass scoring 66/67 whilst a September born would need 71/72) and therefore a September born needs to get more right than an August born ?

That's absolutely how I understood the process Duffymoon hence needing the valium. I'll save some for you? :lol:
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

duffymoon wrote:
Daffy wrote:Just read the raw score debate on the Bexley region and now even more stressed!!!

If the test was easier this year then almost perfect marks are required for an older DC which my DD is! :(

Anyone got any valium please?
Thats making me very nervous too. My DC is also one of the eldest so will need top marks. If the test was easier this year, then like you say, they're going to need perfect marks which is a real concern.

DC is in top sets for maths and literacy, and had good levels at end of year 5, so everything points in the right direction, but I know that's no guarantee they'll get that all important 121.

I'll have some of that valium too please !
Sounds just like my DC in terms of levels but am so worried as I have heard of older DC's in the same position not getting the correct scores to qualify. The unknown is a terrible thing to face! :lol: I kept away from the forum yesterday to see if it would help with the nerves. I'd like to say it did but I can't! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

If the schools receive the results today as Sally has said, then does that mean we can ask for them early?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I suspect that will be a most definite no :shock: :lol:

Ask at your parents evening and watch out for any suddenly developing ticks or stammars. :wink:

Amazed that any of the primaries time them this way.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Daffy wrote:If the schools receive the results today as Sally has said, then does that mean we can ask for them early?
No you cannot have them early. :)

Embargo until close of school day on Friday. Your child will be given a sealed envelope addressed to the parent at the close of day. Schools will encourage parents not to open on the school premises.

Letters are received early in order to check all is in order - correct children for correct school.

Patricia
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

patricia wrote:
Daffy wrote:If the schools receive the results today as Sally has said, then does that mean we can ask for them early?
No you cannot have them early. :)

Embargo until close of school day on Friday. Your child will be given a sealed envelope addressed to the parent at the close of day. Schools will encourage parents not to open on the school premises.

Letters are received early in order to check all is in order - correct children for correct school.

Patricia

Do the schools know the result Patricia? Are they given a separate list of results along with the sealed envelopes? I wouldn't have thought it would take that long to check everything. A day maybe but not two! :)
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Tolstoy wrote:I suspect that will be a most definite no :shock: :lol:

Ask at your parents evening and watch out for any suddenly developing ticks or stammars. :wink:

Amazed that any of the primaries time them this way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Yes they know the results.

Admissions would not be happy if Heads released any information before the end of the school day on Friday. And quite right too! Must be seen to be fair.

Patricia
LW2015

Post by LW2015 »

Do you know how are results delivered for OOC children? When are they posted?
Sally-Anne wrote:
thefirs wrote:You have 14 days I think to collate and get paper sent off, any meetings with head should be on Monday :?
If you need to submit a Review case, the deadline is Friday 6th November. Although many Heads will have set aside time in their diaries on Monday to talk to parents of children who didn't qualify, not all of them will have done so, and meetings may be held later in the week.
I was told last year that the headteachers receive the results as early as the Tuesday of the week they are published - that is today.
The results will be delivered to schools by courier tomorrow, Wednesday.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

patricia wrote:Yes they know the results.

Admissions would not be happy if Heads released any information before the end of the school day on Friday. And quite right too! Must be seen to be fair.

Patricia
Would also lead to all sorts of unnecessary, though highly entertaining, anx. We would become the new Birmingham :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now