Confused over this years scores.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PonsonbyDeville

Re: Confused over this years scores.

Post by PonsonbyDeville »

Thanks schlumpf, your appraisal certainly helps me to understand this a little more. Given the fact that the scores are not used for anything useful (in Bucks) I can only agree that a pass/fail would seem to make more sense. However, when my daughter passed a few years ago we did use her score as an indicator that she had not just 'scraped through' as we were keen that we did not place her in an environment where she might struggle, so maybe there is a little merit in knowing...but more context around the score would be helpful.

@SallyAnne "If the total number qualifying jumped from 3112 (this year's 34%) to your notional 50%, or 4573, I think someone would notice and ask a question or two ..."

You only have to look at a recent maths paper where an entire student population had to have their grades refactored because results were so poor as the paper was too hard. No one seemed to ask a question or two here until things were way too late!

Forgive me, but I'm an extreme pessimist when it comes to trusting anything driven by the education system. Our experiences from the inside of this system are far from impressive.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

"Scrapped through" is an interesting choice of phrase. As someone says on here, fairly regularly, 121 is the qualifying score and once that is achieved I would presume that the grammars are able to help every child achieve their potential?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't believe that maths paper was in Buckinghamshire though or even in England for that matter.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Absolutely. Remember that there will be a few children who secured places after review or appeal with scores much lower than 121, or even joined a grammar school at 12+ or 13+. Many go on to achieve outstanding results at GCSE and A level. There will of course be some children at grammar schools who aren't suited to grammar school at all, having secured a qualifying score through coaching and practice but not having the capability to learn at the pace and level they encounter once in a grammar school. I know a teacher at a grammar school who reckons that in every intake, there is an equivalent of a class of children not suited to a grammar school. The sad likely consequence is that there is a class-worth of kids who would be well suited.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Can I also add that it is naive in the extreme to assume that because DC gets a high score they are better placed in a Grammar school than their lower scoring peers. :roll: It is most certainly not a guarantee it is a reflection of one test on one particular day. Read nothing more into it than that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As I've posted a number of times, my best ever student got in on appeal.

There is no positive correlation between a high score and GCSE results under the old VR and CEM students haven't got there yet.
PonsonbyDeville

Can I also add that it is naive in the extreme to assume that because DC gets a high score they are better placed in a Grammar school than their lower scoring peers.
Absolutely reinforces my view, regardless of the fact I have two now at grammar, that the whole system is a waste of space. Why provide a tiered score which is then largely ignored, and does not in the slightest mean a good fit for grammar. We used the score merely to ascertain if from an academic perspective, our child might thrive. If it cannot at least be used in this context then it is of absolutely no use whatsoever.
As I've posted a number of times, my best ever student got in on appeal.
My daughter got through a few years back and does averagely well, while my niece who got through on appeal has flourished at the same school, achieved 9 A* and an A at GCSE. I am unfortunately convinced that she would not have achieved these grades at out local comp.

Sorry, I joined these forums to try and extract some logic and closure about this whole process, which obviously doesn't exist...and have ended up ranting like many others.

What has become of me !
PonsonbyDeville

Guest55 wrote:I don't believe that maths paper was in Buckinghamshire though or even in England for that matter.
Scotland actually....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33760350

Too close for comfort......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now