Bucks 11+ test dates 2016 (2017 admission)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

justanothermother

Re: Bucks 11+ test dates 2016 (2017 admission)

Post by justanothermother »

hermanmunster wrote:I know this has been mentioned before but North Yorkshire (well Ermysteds / Ripon) use a system whereby the "passmark" is defined by the top 28% of kids who live in a defined catchment.
Anyone from outside can take the exam and if they get the mark, then they can apply for a place based on distance.
This has the effect that OOC children (who tend on average to score higher as they have actively opted to do the test) do not increase the overall score and take places from kids in catchment.
Sounds very promissing. Is there a detailed explanation of this system in Yorkshire section of the forum? I'm, in particular, curious as to how the standardisation is achieved in this case.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

HJJ wrote: You have assume Bushey meads is what I've been referring to for 24 spots across 1800+ registrations - this is not the school I've been referring to.
My assumption was based on it being the closest to where you live (approx. 30 minutes away?), one of the SW Herts consortium schools which your DC sat the exam for and a school that your DC would qualify for with the exam result you posted. I now realise you meant Mill Hill.

So when you said you were applying for Bucks Grammar Schools as you had no other option, is that because you think that Bushey Meads and Queens School in Bushey are not very good? They are certainly significantly closer to you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

fairly recent info from NorthYorks here: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/26 ... uitability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justanothermother

hermanmunster wrote:fairly recent info from NorthYorks here: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/26 ... uitability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you
justanothermother

justanothermother wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:fairly recent info from NorthYorks here: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/26 ... uitability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you
Last edited by justanothermother on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
HJJ

Post by HJJ »

noonynunu wrote:
HJJ wrote: You have assume Bushey meads is what I've been referring to for 24 spots across 1800+ registrations - this is not the school I've been referring to.
My assumption was based on it being the closest to where you live (approx. 30 minutes away?), one of the SW Herts consortium schools which your DC sat the exam for and a school that your DC would qualify for with the exam result you posted. I now realise you meant Mill Hill.

So when you said you were applying for Bucks Grammar Schools as you had no other option, is that because you think that Bushey Meads and Queens School in Bushey are not very good? They are certainly significantly closer to you.
Closer but not necessarily the best school for my dc . It's very individual and though locality is a factor it's not the only selection Criteria.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

HJJ wrote:Closer but not necessarily the best school for my dc . It's very individual and though locality is a factor it's not the only selection Criteria.
I think I misunderstood your previous post as refereing to your own situation, I now realise you were refering to reasons other parents may have for choosing a school quite a distance from where they live:

I think there are some genuine cases where parents are not in the catchment for decent schools in the local area. This then results in venturing out and looking for grammar schools close by and beyond. Some selective schools though not so local have 24 places technology (aptitude, transfer) test places - these are very very difficult to secure with 1800 applicants or more sitting the exam. Given bucks has around 11 grammar schools and a set score of 121 to pass - increases the probability of a child getting into a grammar school. It maybe far to a certain degree - but what other options does one have ??
gg234

Post by gg234 »

Spot on for some parents who are living in the area without grammar schools
HJJ wrote:I think there are some genuine cases where parents are not in the catchment for decent schools in the local area. This then results in venturing out and looking for grammar schools close by and beyond. Some selective schools though not so local have 24 places technology (aptitude, transfer) test places - these are very very difficult to secure with 1800 applicants or more sitting the exam. Given bucks has around 11 grammar schools and a set score of 121 to pass - increases the probability of a child getting into a grammar school. It maybe far to a certain degree - but what other options does one have ??
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Guest55 wrote:I would suggest that the qualification is set at top 36% - 40% and then let distance decide ... it can't be too hard to work out what % would allow more local children to qualify.

Then I'd get rid of the review and go back to the 'old' appeal system - appeals decided before National Offer day.
Sounds like a great idea but far too sensible for the GS Heads committee to adopt !

Great news that they've decided to move the date and stop the tourists from coming. Lets hope it benefits Bucks kids.
amita77

Post by amita77 »

Thanks for sharing the dates.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now