Failed by 2 marks !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

Hi Suesole, My sons marks at the end of year 5 : Maths 5C Engligh and Writing 4A with 2 QCA scores of 119 and129. Also bear in mind your sons 'lowest mark' of 115 was only 1 less than my sons highest - we had a 109 to contend with!!!!

Keep Going and dont give up.
:lol:
Sue
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Thanks for sharing this. What are QCA's ? Sue

Post by Guest »

Hi Sue, To be honest i dont know - i wasnt aware of these tests - the 1st i knew was when they appeared on this form - i think they may be a form of CATS test but dont quote me on it. Might be best to wait and see if something similar appears on your form and then ask the teacher.

Good Luck

Sue
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Etienne wrote:[Incidentally, the figures Dad40 gives for scores 118-117 are not the ones given in the Headteachers' Manual:
118 - 39.8%
117 - 38.7%
116 - 29.2%]
Thanks Etienne - I think those are the figures for the Sept 2007 entry (mine were for 2006 entry). Interesting that the 118 and 117 percentages and actual numbers were very similar.

In your experience, what extra arguments would someone with a score of 115 need to present at appeal (that say someone with 120 wouldn't)?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Dad40

Someone on 115 would need to present stronger academic evidence and - if possible - reasons why the target mark was not achieved on the days of the test. The lower the mark, the more compelling all the evidence needs to be.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Dad40

All is clear now. :D

I endorse Sally-Anne's comments regarding your question above.

Hello, Suesole
- QCA tests are national curriculum tests (e.g. English and Maths).
Etienne
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi - My son's school has confirmed he did get a 4b in maths at the end of year 5. They cannot explain why as he got a level 5 at the retest at the begining of year 6 and a level 4a at the end of year 4. His maths teacher has advised it is one test on one day (Sounds familiar!) and from what she has seen so far my son works at a level 5 and her report will be based on his work as at year 6. Her only critisim is he works fast and sometimes looses his acuracy. My question is I want to submit his year 5 report with his appeal notes as there is level 5 showing for English and Science but should I? Would it help explain another blip when taking the 11+ Any advise welcome...Sue
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi

Can anyone advise if there is a big difference between a 4b and a 4a ?

Thanks Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Might only be one mark -
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

So would the appeals panel look at this unfavourably as my son was working at level 4a at end of year 4 and level 4b at end of year 5? My son's year 6 teacher cannot understand why he got a 4b, as when he was tested at beginning of year 6 he got a high level 5 and this is what she is putting on the HT report for our appeal. Thanks.