Failed by 2 marks !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

One other thing Suesole - i would request that they put the levels your son is currently working on and was tested to be at at the start of year 6 and not to mention the year 5 results as there was obviously some confusion with them.

Sue
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Guest Sue

I have come back from school. They have advised not to bother appealing if you got under 116. But they were very positive regarding their support for us if we do appeal. we are going to appeal as my son got 119. My son's maths teacher was there and she has advised my son is working to level 5 and this is what she will put on her report. She has made a note of his report descrepancies and said she will explain this on the report as his form teacher left in April of year 5 and he was working between 3 teachers so there does seem to be a bit of a mix up here. The IAP holds the appeal interviews at the local church (maybe I should say a prayer before I go in!) Can you remember what sort of questions you were asked..This might help us to prepare some answers in advance......
Thanks for all your help. I'll owe you a drink after all this...Sue

Post by Guest »

Hi Suesole, Maths teacher Mrs Smith by any chance? My son had her in Yr5 & 6 - brilliant teacher. With regards to questions from 2 years ago - here goes
1) What does he want to be when he grows up?
2) What is he currently reading?
3) Does he enjoy homework?!!! :D
4) How did he feel after he had sat the tests?

And to be honest not a lot else. Somewhere on this forum is a topic regarding questions and most of mine came under the heading of 'filler questions'. This is apparantly when all the evidence is clear and there are no real things left unsaid but the panel dont want you to go away thinking they wernt interested in your case - hence some irrelevant questions. From memory was in the appeal no more that 20 -30 mins.

Hope this helps

Sue

Post by Guest »

Suesole, Just a couple of things, What exactly do you mean about the IAP holding a meeting in the church and just to be nosy :lol: were there many passes this year and are there many appealing?
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Sue

The school advised the appeal hearings are held in St Andrews Church !

Yes it was Mrs Smith. My Son has her for Maths. She is the Deputy Head teacher. 85 odd kids took the Bucks test and 18 passed. Approx 15-20 appealing by the looks of things... Sue

Thanks for the questions that's a big help...Will keep you posted on what teacher's report says... Thanks Sue

Post by Guest »

Hi Suesole, The appeals in At Andrews church sound really strange to me!! I had to go Amersham Council offices where i had 3 appeal panels members, a clerk and someone from Buck LEA. Sounds really strange that they will all be coming to At Andrews Church - it also raises the question is that just for CJS and will they be travelling all around Bucks. Thanks for the figures - when my son sat 2 years ago 91 sat and 11 passed.

If i can be of any more help just ask

Good Luck and keep us updated

Sue
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Suesole wrote:They have advised not to bother appealing if you got under 116. But they were very positive regarding their support for us if we do appeal.
Figures from 2006 suggested that 70% of people with a highest score of 120 won their appeal. For 119, it was 59%. For 118, it was 53%. For 117, it was 29%.

These numbers don't necessarily equate to your own personal chances. If you have the full support of your Head, if your child got an equally good second score and has a very good academic record, plus if you have read the appeals advice on this website, then I would suspect your personal chances of success are much higher.
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Sue (Guest)

Just out of interest, if you don't mind posting, what were your son's end of year test marks at end of year 5?
I've just re-read the 11+ test results again and his lower mark was 115 do you think this will be a problem !

Thanks dad40 for that info. Interesting reading !!!!

I love this site.. :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have come back from school. They have advised not to bother appealing if you got under 116
I thought this was terrible advice from the school!

To continue Dad40's statistics, last year 23.7% of appeals with 115 succeeded ........ and 21.1% with 110.

Of course, there are fewer appeals with lower scores, usually because the further away from 121, the stronger the case needs to be - but that's the point! Cases are considered on their merits. Someone with 110 and a compelling case should not be discouraged from appealing.

[Incidentally, the figures Dad40 gives for scores 118-117 are not the ones given in the Headteachers' Manual:
118 - 39.8%
117 - 38.7%
116 - 29.2%]
Etienne
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Etienne - I totally agree with you. Just reading some of the posts on here proves you can get places on appeal with lower scores. My own son's lower score was 115. I must admit I am a little concerned we didn't have individual meetings and they did it on one group. We'll just have to see what head teachers report we get back....Sue
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now