Failed by 2 marks !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A level 4a [which is in the top 5% or so] at the end of Y4 would expect to be level 5 by the end of Y5 - the effect of several teachers might have meant the curriculum was not covered or perhaps the assessment was inaccrate - did they do the optional tests?
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Guest 55
No I don't think they did any other tests, The only thing I have now is a test at the beginning of year 6 which was a level 5, Which his Maths teacher (who is also the deputy head) has advised she will put on his headteachers report. Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If the Y5 level was teacher assessed it was probably inaccurate given what you have said - the DH's level is more accurate and if that's what is going on the form that's great!
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

So do you think it would be ok to include the end of year 5 results on the paperwork I am submitting as this did form part of my son's end of year 5 report ?

Thanks Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's up to you what you submit.

Is there information on the report that you cannot get elsewhere? If it's all 'very able' etc etc you can take a risk with the Maths and explain that the DH does not feel the level is accurate.
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

The comments are really good. I could just leave the score sheet off. Then the HT report would show level 5. What do you think? I'm hope they would only really be interested in his level now and not 4m ago (which it will be by the time we get our meeting. Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That would seem OK -

Etienne, would the panel wonder where the levels were?
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Sally-Anne I have sent you a PM. Sue.
voxish

Post by voxish »

Last year my daughter got 118 and 120. We went to appeal and were stunned to have it turned down (as was my daughter and her school).

The Appeal Board I found to be very intimidating; more like a Magistrate's Bench than anything else with three 'county-set' women, a very staid male local authority representative and a clerk.

Her headmistress gave an excellent report, we mentioned possible nerves on the day and illness of her normal class teacher but no other extenuating circumstances. We felt it was best to be honest and not over-egg the pudding but evidently that is not the way to do it!

Obviously life goes on, she's fine where she is and will be sitting the 12+ shortly but I can't help thinking that other factors are at work other than academic potential.

Anyone going for appeal now should bear this in mind - raw marks are not the first criterion for selection (and I suppose if it were, why not just do provisional places depending on that year's pass rate THEN appeals).
i feel voxish