Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Appeals

Post by Etienne »

The usual rule in Bucks is that you have 14 days to return the appeal form (14 days from the date of issue, that is). So, if your child is attending a Bucks school, I would expect the headteacher to issue the form at a meeting with you - and you would then have 14 days to return it. If there is a good reason for returning the form late, I think the appeals office would not be unsympathetic - but ask nicely. :D

Hearings usually take place from the very beginning of January until mid-February. To answer a question that comes up every year, it makes no difference whatsoever to the outcome of your appeal if you are heard first or last! Panels take no account of individual schools at a selection appeal, or of the overall number of places that might be available.

Please post any appeal questions in the Appeals forum, but do remember to specify "Bucks" (as the forum deals with all parts of the country).

If you mention the score achieved, please say what the other score was as well. (120+119 makes for a stronger case than 120+110.) Every year someone will say "But it's not fair - if my child had scored 121, the lower score would be ignored." The answer, of course, is that we have moved on from the admission arrangements to an appeal, and that at an appeal the panel is entitled to consider all the available evidence. SATs predictions, headteacher recommendation, CAT scores, extenuating circumstances etc. are not part of the admission arrangements either!

It's always a help to have a username - too many "Guests" can be confusing. :D

Good luck to everyone
Etienne

Should we appeal?

Post by Guest »

We received the results today and my daughter missed out by one point. Her scores were 114 and 120. I am just wondering whether it is worth appealing? I read somewhere that her chances would be better if the range was better 116 to 120. She turned 11 in November.

Would be grateful for some advice.

I just want to say thanks for all the advice I have received from the forum - it really has been helpful.

MA
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you believe she is best suited to a GS you have nothing to lose - what does the HT think - will s/he support?

Read the info in the 'stickies' on the appeal section -
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's certainly worth appealing, but the panel will have to take a view - based on all the evidence - about whether 120 or 114 is a better indication of her ability. Also, are there any extenuating circumstances to explain the lower score in particular?

Please post any further questions in the Appeals forum rather than here.
Etienne
Bucks Mum

Post by Bucks Mum »

In reply to the Guest above who's daughter scored 120 and 114, I was in a similar position last year. My daughter scored 120 and 115 and I went to appeal and we won. I have to say the most important thing was that I had the Headteacher's full support and strong academic evidence. I used all the evidence to prove that the 120 was a much better indicator of her ability than the 115.If you have the HT supprt and good predicted SAT scores then it must be worth a good try. My daughter is now thriving and loving it at her Grammar school.
Very best of luck!
voxish

Post by voxish »

Bucks Mum wrote:In reply to the Guest above who's daughter scored 120 and 114, I was in a similar position last year. My daughter scored 120 and 115 and I went to appeal and we won. I have to say the most important thing was that I had the Headteacher's full support and strong academic evidence. I used all the evidence to prove that the 120 was a much better indicator of her ability than the 115.If you have the HT supprt and good predicted SAT scores then it must be worth a good try. My daughter is now thriving and loving it at her Grammar school.
Very best of luck!
I don't want to cause unnecessary worry but our experience on the appeal was somewhat different... :o
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4500
i feel voxish
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now