Where to send boy while waiting for 12+ - Wycombe area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
flinty

Where to send boy while waiting for 12+ - Wycombe area

Post by flinty »

My son has just missed the 11+ - we are appealing but who knows what the outcome will be - I am trying to sort through all the options for year 7 ... and beyond.

We will try for the 12+, but what to do in the meantime?

Do we send him to the local Senior School and tutor for subjects that will not be taught there? Do we send him to an Independent School? If so where? Should he not pass the 12+ what would we do then?

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
thanks Flinty
warks. mum

12+

Post by warks. mum »

Have you thought about home education and spend as much as you can on tutoring specifically for the 12+? At least there should not be too much pond life at home!
chad

Post by chad »

I think it depends on the schools in your area. There are some high performing schools that are not grammars. If you are lucky to have a reasonable secondary near you then I would think that you would then prepare for the 12+ while still in a school environment. If the schools in your area are ones that you cannot imagine your child attending then you will need to look at private options.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Flinty - which Uppers did you name? PM me if you prefer -
flinty

Post by flinty »

I don't think that home education is an option. Son is highly social/very sporty and would hate not having interaction with other children.
I take exception to the term 'pond life' - the assumption that all children who do not go to Grammar schools are the lowest of the low is totally unacceptable.

Guest55 I have pm'd my local Uppers. Thanks
thanks Flinty

Post by Guest »

"Have you thought about home education and spend as much as you can on tutoring specifically for the 12+? At least there should not be too much pond life at home!"

I think, on balance, I'd rather my child mixed with a bit of "pond life" than spent a year at home cramming for the 12+. I don't think the latter would make for a very well-rounded individual.
katel

Post by katel »

warks mum - words fail me!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now