Review Statistics 2014 - 2016 Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Review Statistics 2014 - 2016 Admission

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have received a copy of this year's Review outcomes by score, and added them to a spreadsheet. There is a summary at the top which gives a reasonably clear view of trends over time.

It's interesting to note that it is becoming harder to win a Review case on higher scores, but easier to win a case on a lower score. (It couldn't possibly be that Review Panels are "falling for sob stories on lower scores", could it? :wink: )
Attachments
Review success rates by score Dropbox.xlsx
(15.36 KiB) Downloaded 3302 times
Tolstoy

Re: Review Statistics 2014 - 2016 Admission

Post by Tolstoy »

I have always felt that when it comes to reviews or appeals the score should be irrelevant otherwise it calls the system into question. Yes I think it is very unfortunate for those who miss by a narrow margin but that is the problem with using this form of selection.

The whole point is that the powers to be have decided that if you are Grammar ability in Bucks you will score 121 or above. If not you are deemed unsuitable and should attend an Upper school. If you say that actually someone who has scored 120 is more suitable than one scoring 110 you find yourself, perish the thought, on the slippery slope of admitting that 121 is not a magical number that is able to correctly define which school a child should attend. In fact what they are saying is that a lot of borderline children will score slightly less but that they should be admitted anyway. However this will only happen if your parents decide to put you forward for review or appeal. Mmmh most unfair.

It is my opinion that reviews and appeals should be about correctly placing DC who have been unfairly disadvantaged by the one day test system, untutored DC being your classic examples or interrupted tests. In those cases their score should be ignored in favour of evidence of academic ability and or a solid reason of way DC was unable to perform on a one day test.
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

The whole point is that the powers to be have decided that if you are Grammar ability in Bucks you will score 121 or above.
The 'powers to be' are of course the grammar schools themselves
It is my opinion that reviews and appeals should be about correctly placing DC who have been unfairly disadvantaged by the one day test system, untutored DC being your classic examples or interrupted tests. In those cases their score should be ignored in favour of evidence of academic ability and or a solid reason of way DC was unable to perform on a one day test.
But surely this is what a review and/or appeal is about? How can a panel ignore the score when they are looking for sufficient academic evidence and/or mitigating circumstances as to why the child did not pass the test? The wider the gap in marks away from 121 (and there has to be some sort of cut off point) the stronger the evidence would have to be presumably.

Interesting review figures though but surely they also suggest that the Review Panels are not just looking at the score or why have more lower scoring children been admitted?
mum-of-three

Post by mum-of-three »

Can some one please guide me about the review process? How far down one is expected to be from 121 in order to request a review?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You can submit a Review on any score below 121. The chances of success (which you can see from the link to the statistics above) are obviously better, the closer the score is to 121.
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

Theoretically, you can go to review on any score but the concern you should be addressing is whether you have the backing of your child's primary school to warrant going to review and/or whether you have extenuating circumstances as to why your child did not reach the qualifying level for grammar school. In ye olde days, there used to be a review 'window' of around 116-120 but no longer. Of course, the nearer you are to 121, the stronger your chances as previous years figures show.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my opinion you need to know what the Head's recommendation was for your child before going to review. Also how many successful reviews the school has had.

The review system relies far too much on Head's who are 'in the know' about the key words to write ...
mum-of-three

Post by mum-of-three »

My dd school has a new head from this September. I think i should see her. Unexpectedly she scored 88 marks that to me seems quite low as per our own assessment and practice papers that we have been doing.
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

Sally Anne, do you know if Bucks has published the Review statistics for September 2017 entry? I've had a look online and can't see them. I'm just curious, having brought a Review this year, and I see last year they seem to have been available in the spring. Thanks as ever.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, here they are.
SRP outcomes 2017.docx
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 1411 times
I'll try to update my spreadsheet at some point shortly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now