remarking of papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DD

remarking of papers

Post by DD »

Can anone tell me how you would go about getting eleven plus papers remarked? Would you get any information about what might have gone wrong, eg. a whole section wrong for example, or do they just check the mark? Is there a time limit for submitting a request?

Thanks for any info,

DD
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

Just contact Bucks County Council and ask them to do it. (I did it via email to Admissions I think) I had to pay £10, but can not remember if that was for the remark, or if it was to get the raw score which I did also.

They sent me a letter to advise remarking was correct, and also stated standardisation was correct.

Good Luck
Wiki
Hope

Post by Hope »

I am interested to know if you have asked for a remark.

My Headteacher seemed to think that county were not keen to remark papers and that they would not do it til after the appeals, does anyone know if he is correct?

He asked for a paper to be remarked last year but it was correctly marked, is there any stats to show how many remark requests were made last year and if any were found to have been marked incorrectly.

Also do the appeals panel get to know if you have asked for a remark?

Post by Guest »

This doesn't apply to Bucks - but in another area - this year - Nine children had their papers incorrectly marked - two were told they failed when they had actually passed - (the other 7 had passed anyway). It was the LEA that spotted the error and phoned the parents to inform them... I only say because perhaps the LEA do a double check themselves anyway???

Post by Guest »

The above is perhaps worded wrong - The papers themseleves weren't actually marked wrong BUT the standardisation scores were added up wrong...

Post by Guest »

I am quite shocked reading this......thinking that your child had failed....due to an error
sharone

Post by sharone »

I'm quite shocked too. As my son did not pass I've asked Admissions to give me my son's raw scores (mostly to make him feel better about how close he was to passing, unless, of course, he wasn't, in which case I won't let him know). I had no idea though that they may have gotten the standardization wrong. Is there any way I can find out what raw score equates to 121 for a September born child?

Post by Guest »

My son it too a Sept born. Do you contact the admissions dept at South Bucks council to find the raw score??
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi All

If you want the paper remarked, contact Admissions at Bucks County Council - as per Wiki's post.

I should mention that I have never heard of a Bucks paper proving to have been incorrectly marked. The papers are marked by an optical reader and the chances of an error are very slim indeed.

I would also be very shocked indeed if a company such as NFER were found to have errors in the standardisation process.

If you approach Bucks for a re-mark and your child's raw score, I would suggest not discussing it with your child until you have the result. You could take them from "missed by a bit" to "really flunked it badly", and that will just add salt to the wound.

Please also bear in mind that the raw score will not be of any use as evidence at an Appeal.

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

Two years ago mistakes were made in the standardisation of the late transfer tests, my tutored child gained another 4 marks!

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now