Help! (again please)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2littleboys

Help! (again please)

Post by 2littleboys »

Hello again

I have spent some considerable time since I last posted reading up about the new 11+ and unfortunately I don't feel confident enough to coach/tutor my son through it :( :roll: :cry:

As we are all no doubt aware most "real life" people are very secretive about what preparations they are undertaking, what tutors they are using etc so I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice on the "best" of the tutoring companies that are in Bucks.

I know we are not allowed to mention any of them by name but I would be grateful if you have any feedback (negative or positive) to please pm me. None of them are cheap so I really don't want to make a mistake.

Just to recap my son will be going into year 5 in September and is at an "ordinary" state school in the Chiltern District.

Thank you :)
PurpleDuck

Re: Help! (again please)

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi 2littleboys,

I am not in your area so can't recommend any tutors but just wanted to say that regardless of who you end up using, you would still most likely need to do a bit of work with your DS at home. An hour or even two a week of tutoring may not be enough and in any case a tutor is there primarily to guide your child's efforts, identify weaknesses and help improve in the most tricky areas; they will most likely set homework for your DS but he will need your support and encouragement all the way. A lot of parents learn along with their children, it's just that we can pick up things a bit quicker than most 10 year olds, so with a bit of effort we can stay a few steps ahead of them - I'm sure you will be able to do that, too.

Now over to the Bucks folk to give you some detailed advice. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

PurpleDuck

Thank you very much for your very detailed response.

I see what you mean about having to do some of the work with him. It wouldn't be right to leave it all to the tutor. I'm just worried that I will end up confusing my son as I can't really gets to grips with it all myself.

I'm so glad I'm not sitting it :roll:
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Hi

We are Bucks but not I think your area - my children are at SWBGS. I would just ask around at school who people are using - I've always found people are very open about what they are doing. Some people will tutor some won't it's personal preference.

My recommendation is not to do any of the commercial mocks they're not really relevant to Bucks and can cause unnecessary worry.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Kittymum

You are very lucky then-I have found quite the opposite-nobody around here wants to "give anything" away :lol:

Many thanks for your reply.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I really don't think many tutors are up to speed on the new CEM and the good ones will be booked up. Why not have a go together with your DS at some of the suggested books. Working together is more relaxed and fun!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If it is any consolation I worked full time and tried a tutor and when I discovered what they (were not) doing I quickly cancelled and agreed with DD a plan of action. A couple of mock tests showed us the weak areas and we focused on those as DD was generally strong in maths and vocab and it helped enormously that we just focused on specific aspects. It was not onerous or destroying of relationships, quite the opposite. It may not be for everyone but I know many a tutored child whose parent handed them over to the tutor with the expectation a magic wand would wave its solution - those children who had zero input from parents consistently from my experience last year failed. Those who either self tutored or saw the tutor as just one element in the process did far better. Yes I am in a different region but believe the concept applies in all eleven plus jurisdictions.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Totally agree with the above except 'formal mocks' aren't really needed in Bucks. They sit the test in their own school [if at a Bucks Primary or partner school] and have a chance to practise a couple of days before.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Guest55 your knowledge is well known on this forum but I would say that a mock test in the spring of the year prior to sitting (so sorry - too late for this September's sitters) the test can help focus work. Why spend time for example on areas you have no issue with. This needs to be mock that provides good feedback in a digestible format. A mock that just ranks doesn't for example give guidance on what needs work. Mocks a few days before the test itself might help with technique but won't help identify in time areas that need to be worked on.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can do a 'mock' at home - there's no need to pay for one.

Bucks selects the top third or so as 'suitable for a GS' and score (once 121 is achieved) is irrelevant - Kent is a bit different I think?