Less than 3 weeks to go - trying not to get too worried :-S

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tropicmama

Less than 3 weeks to go - trying not to get too worried :-S

Post by tropicmama »

I really hope I'm not the only one feeling increasingly worried and slightly panicky. Home stretch to the big day and my DS has been doing a bit of work at least 4 days a week over the summer (mostly 10 minute tests). He did a handful of practice tests at home and his scores seem to be getting worse closer to the time. I'm not sure why this is happening. Could it be burnout? He hasn't really done much work over the summer compared to the work he did during term time. Surely he should be getting better scores? I am hoping his brain is just in "summer mode"...last practice test he did he scored about 42%. I'm starting to feel like his chances are getting slimmer by the day. :( :?
Aethel

Re: Less than 3 weeks to go - trying not to get too worried

Post by Aethel »

From what I've seen on here this seems to be quite usual!
I think our DC are probably getting a bit bored of the preparation, even when the "light touch" has been used over the summer.
Hang on in there, in a month we'll all be done and dusted (at least for a little while!)
essexa

Post by essexa »

Hi, your son seems to be doing enough, same as my DS last year. Lots of 10 minute tests, english everyday and vocabulary is essential as this is where the exam is won or lost. Reading and vocab before bed for 15 mins. We did all of this and last year my son passed with high scores, he was looking average through summer but you kind off know how good he is with his short tests and his general ability to answer most questions when not under pressure. If he seems to know how to tackle most maths questions and has a good idea of the vocab( they will never know it all so don't panic ) he should be fine, that's what we found. Good luck!
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi Tropic Mama

I understand how you feel. I was in your position a few years ago and I have another son to try and get through 11+ prep next summer :roll:
If you have a look at the "General 11+ Topics" section on here there is someone in a similar predicament to you. I suggest you read the replies they received as you will hopefully find them reassuring.
If I think back to my own son at this time (ie @ 2 or 3 weeks before the exam) he had "had enough" and wanted it over and done with-not half as much as I did though :lol:
Your son is probably sick to the back teeth of it all but hopefully he will "come through" on the day.
Best of luck to you both.