New to Forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2littleboys

Re: New to Forum

Post by 2littleboys »

I think it is harder for the children who are younger in the year BlueBerry (especially boys-I hope that is not a sexist statement just my own observation on many different children over the years).

I know the results are age standardised but I still don't think it makes up the difference if that makes sense.

Anyway feel free to PM me at any time and hopefully we can support each other on this rollercoaster ride :lol:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

No I completely agree with you regarding the boy comment.

Thanks for the PM invitation. It'd be good if we had a 2017 support group - I would imagine that we as parents would need supporting much more than the children do :D
Bustermartin

Post by Bustermartin »

Another one here with a late July boy. As bright, we think, as our eldest who managed to qualify, but he too lacks emotional maturity. Still, it's a year away yet - there is still hope!
Bustermartin

Post by Bustermartin »

Another one here with a late July boy. As bright, we think, as our eldest who managed to qualify, but he too lacks emotional maturity. Still, it's a year away yet - there is still hope!
LovePoldark

Post by LovePoldark »

Hello everyone!

The plans on where to move are changing daily! Denham maybe to far out from RGS anyway - I have been advised that traffic and length of time would be a nightmare, it is definately in the catchment though for RGS, DCGS and JH and Chalfont.

It all depends on the open evenings next week.

Blueberry - we are moving from Ruislip - a few of the comps here are rated outstanding and we have been to see most of them, however I have spoken to parents of a lot children and most of them are not happy and not so for a while now, pupils not being pushed enough etc. We need to move into Bucks for work and we feel our son would do very well at a grammar school.

Can't wait for the open days!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would advise seeing Burnham Grammar too. Denham may not be in catchment, but it is the closest school and quite a few children go there from that sort of area. I don't think he would have so many local friends from the other schools, but I may be wrong (have you checked all the bus routes, and the upper schools in case he doesn't qualify for a GS?).
scary mum
LovePoldark

Post by LovePoldark »

I would advise seeing Burnham Grammar too. Denham may not be in catchment, but it is the closest school and quite a few children go there from that sort of area. I don't think he would have so many local friends from the other schools, but I may be wrong (have you checked all the bus routes, and the upper schools in case he doesn't qualify for a GS?).

Hi scary mum

I much preferred RGS and DCGS as they spoke more about the well rounded student as opposed to academics. I have already visited a lot of the slough grammars and found that they didnt even mention extra cirricular activities - its all about results (my opinion and instinct only). Also we would like him to have that local friends experience. We are moving for work and would like to be in a bigger house in a nicer area (I have three kids - and yes I am looking at primary schools and uppers already). All is in place now - just waiting on the open evenings. I went to the Open Mornings last year and they were very useful. I will take it all with a pinch of salt though Guest 55 as you say they are sales evenings. :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham isn't a Slough grammar, it's Bucks, or maybe I have misunderstood you. They will certainly talked about well rounded students and extra curricular, I promise. It's the standard sales talk! :lol: :lol:
scary mum
Louey

Post by Louey »

We are just starting down this route as well. The fun year of tutoring has begun (as has the homework...)

LovePoldark - we are in the same area as you and are looking at CGS plus also SCD in Herts. I am going to see the local comps in the next few weeks but our nearest is so large and my son will be swamped in it. He's an academic but emotionally immature child. (Late March child but premature). I am really concerned about our chances of getting in via distance though as we are on the cusp of last years distance for CGS and it seems to be getting less every year.

Those of you going to open evenings/mornings - are you taking your children with you this time round? I am in 2 minds whether to wait until next year when we have narrowed things down a bit.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Louey

Good Morning. I will be taking my son with me when we visit the schools, the way I see it is he is the one that will be going there so I think it is a good idea for him to get "a feel" of the school.
For what it's worth I really liked CGS when I looked around it with my older son (although Iam going back a few years now) and would have been more than happy for him to go there. I think the Headteacher has changed since then. My son is at DCGS (where he is very happy) and has got friends at CGS-some of whom live in Berko.
Iam going to have a look at 4 schools this time-two Grammar and two Secondary Moderns as my son will definitely end up at one of them so I will have covered all bases so to speak.
Good Luck-maybe I will see you at CGS next week :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now