Chances for OOC getting into Wycombe High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MamaBear

Chances for OOC getting into Wycombe High

Post by MamaBear »

Hello,

I know that JHGS takes children from out of catchment: Wembley, Hayes Oxford etc does Wycombe High also do this.

My friend has daughters, lives on the edge of Oxfordshire and wants to know whether its worth applying to Wycombe High.

Many thanks
scary mum

Re: Chances for OOC getting into Wycombe High

Post by scary mum »

If you look at the top of this section this year's allocation profiles as of 1st March are listed there. For Wycombe High school it was a little over 11 mile's out of area. The final distances aren't on there yet but Sally Anne may be able to tell you.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What did they like about Wycombe High? I would guess that travel might be tricky ... have they tried the journey?

There are some very good schools in Oxfordshire ...
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

thanks guest55 yes they have tried the journey, they live near the M40 and can get into high wycombe in 15 minutes. She says the only decent school is Cherwell and she is not in catchment and it is heavily oversubscribed. Oxford has a lot of private schoools but she can't afford that.

Thanks for the info.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

thank you scary mum, that is very helpful. I think her journey is around 20 miles.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

thank you scary mum, that is very helpful. I think her journey is around 20 miles.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

She must live near a friend of mine. She too says that Cherwell is the only state school that is any good and she has gone down the private route with all 4 of her children (the youngest not yet at secondary but will go to a private one when she gets to that age). However apparently there are a couple of village comprehensives that are a lot better than any of the other Oxford schools which take from a wide area? I know a couple of her friends have done that although it seems that 90%+ of her friends have sent their children privately.
(Personally, even though I know the Oxford - Wycombe journey well, I can't imagine doing that twice a day every day. It's so traffic/accident/lack of accident dependent!)
Purple Teapot

Post by Purple Teapot »

Wow - my dd lives only 3 miles away and it takes her on the bus (direct route) 30 minutes. And that is not factoring in any accidents which I hate to say is far too frequent especially up near Handy Cross/M40 area. :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MamaBear wrote:thanks guest55 yes they have tried the journey, they live near the M40 and can get into high wycombe in 15 minutes. She says the only decent school is Cherwell and she is not in catchment and it is heavily oversubscribed. Oxford has a lot of private schoools but she can't afford that.

Thanks for the info.
I would not advise that journey - the M40 around Handy Cross is a place to be avoided in the morning rush. There are three Secondaries in close proximity and the regular High Wycombe road works ...

Has she looked at this:
https://www.compare-school-performance. ... 0&tab=list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cherwell is not the only good school ... plenty of others here.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And Cherwell was last inspected in 2008.....lots can change in more than a generation of kids moving through a school.