Tropicmama

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2littleboys

Tropicmama

Post by 2littleboys »

Not sure if this is the done thing or not but Tropicmama if you are reading I hope you and your son are ok.

I have read with interest your musings over the past few months and have thought you a very reasonable and caring parent. The posts you have written about your son have really struck a chord with me-he sounds very similar to my son.

Obviously I don't expect you to update us all if you don't wish to but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and hope that all is well :)

Sally-Anne-if you think this post is inappropriate then please feel free to remove it. I don't want Tropicmama to think I'm "hounding" her. Thanks.
anotherdad

Re: Tropicmama

Post by anotherdad »

Amidst all the belated requests for help from first time posters from miles away, Tropicmama is the type of poster I'm sure many of us are willing to provide help for, whatever the outcome.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Hope you're ok tropic, PM me if you want to chat. Thinking of you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

2littleboys wrote:Sally-Anne-if you think this post is inappropriate then please feel free to remove it. I don't want Tropicmama to think I'm "hounding" her. Thanks.
Not at all - I have been thinking of her as well and wondering how she is. IncyWincy is another member who we haven't heard from. :(
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thanks Sally-Anne.

Thinking of you too IncyWincy :)
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

Thank you so, so much for your caring and lovely words! I am very touched - the weekend has been hectic and this morning was full of work meetings that seeing my username on the forum has brought a big smile to my face. I was just about to post on the results thread. It is actually great news for us! Despite being almost sick with worry (and totally unable to focus at work) on Friday afternoon, I stuck a big smile on my face as I shakily went to DS' school to pick him up. Bless him, he looked very nervous (and tiny) as he clutched his white envelope. It is quite a miracle we managed to make it home before opening it, with the whole family in the kitchen. DS and DH opened it together and although we all leaned it to look at what it says, my eyesight is quite bad that even before I did I heard them shout "Yessss!". I am not a crying person but I couldn't help it, and held my DS so tight as I knew he had worked so, so hard for it. Needless to say, I think I scared him with my tears and he told me afterwards to never do it again (I couldn't help it!). I was really touched as he told me that he is glad his hard work paid off, and he didn't even rush to tell his friends he qualified as apparently it might upset them if they haven't. While I am obviously super happy for DS, I am also extremely relieved. The last few months have been a roller coaster, as with the other members of this forum I'm sure, and after all the uncertainty (he only ever just about gets 60%+ in practice papers and mocks and also that whole drama of his fall in the playground the morning of the test) he is just excited to go to two open mornings this week to make sure he is making the right choice of school.

I will most certainly continue to 'stalk' this forum - I have a DD who is in Year 2 so there's quite a lot of years left before her turn.

Although I'm not sure how my DS will cope at a GS, I hope my experience will give hope to others who are just about to embark on the whole 11+ journey, mostly because I always thought he would be a borderline one, which for me was quite nerve-wracking. He wasn't in the "top table" in class, only managed 60s in practice tests, is a July born and also encountering an unforeseen little accident (his fall) right before the exam. This just reminds me that kids are resilient, perhaps much more so than us adults. He actually qualified quite comfortably to our surprise :) Over the weekend, I found him a couple of times looking at the letter on the fridge as if he himself couldn't believe it.

I am excited to look at the results thread to see how everyone went on - perhaps we can all chat about school choices!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Great news, Tropicmama. Your result was one I was looking out for, being a "proper" case (I hope you know what I mean.)

What a good lad, as well. He sounds very wise and considerate for his age. Well done, all of you, less for the result itself, more for the manner in which it was earned and received.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Fabulous news! Well done to you all :D
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Congratulations. What an amazing journey to have gone on (and stressful no doubt ). All the best to your ds!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Many congratulations (I think I've got something in my eye.)