12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
givemehope

12+

Post by givemehope »

Can anyone please shed some light on 12 + ? Has any of your children have sat it and gotten through? Any advise on what you did differently to what you did at 11 + stage would be highly appreciated
Guest55

Re: 12+

Post by Guest55 »

Yes there are quite a few of us whose chidren have sat the 12+ and qualified.

We did nothing special - a few practice papers that's all. We knew he should have qualified at 11+ and that on a different day the result would probably be different.

Places will be limited though I fear ...
tumtidly

Post by tumtidly »

This may be a daft question!

Can you do the 12+ if you fail the 11+? My son scored 112 but he was not tutored and we came
late to the idea of taking the test. So I feel with some tuition in maths he could have passed - he scored badly on maths section and his other scores
were much higher than the maths
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi my dd sat the 12+ and currently she is in 6th form at a gs. Although, our story was slightly different because county were not allowing her to sit the 12+ We Went through local ombudsman and won the appeal for her to just sit the test. Then of course she had to pass the test and after that the issue of getting her a place. Luckily for us all worked out well in the end and it was the best thing we did for her. She really has enjoyed her time at school. Academically done really well and made lots of good friends too:) x
Our younger dd hasn't qualified for a grammar but she doesn't seem to be interested anymore otherwise we'll probably have gone down the 12+ route for her.

We'll see she might change her mind:)
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Yes, DCs can do the 12+ if they have not succeeded at 11+ but I think different schools in the area have different requirements and tests. Three of my DC's friends took the 12+ (2 passed - one gained a place, the other didn't [same school]; one failed but successfully appealed and gained a place).

Edited to correct the "pass" details.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Yes, my daughter took the 12+ and qualified. We were fortunate there was a place available. In terms of doing things differently, I think we were quite unusual. We did home practice for the 11+ and she didn't qualify. We didn't even tell her we'd registered for the 12+ in September of year 7, as an option in case she didn't settle at her upper school. We told her shortly before the test date (Feb) and gave her the option to take it but didn't tell her when the test was. She did some brief practice at home in what we knew was the week before. We only told her about the test on the morning of the test so she was completely relaxed. She sailed through. I think for my daughter it was more about being academically more mature some 16 months after the 11+.
Rash

Post by Rash »

anotherdad wrote:We didn't even tell her we'd registered for the 12+ in September of year 7
Anotherdad, that's a really good idea. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the 12+ will take place?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Rash wrote:
anotherdad wrote:We didn't even tell her we'd registered for the 12+ in September of year 7
Anotherdad, that's a really good idea. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the 12+ will take place?
Thanks. It was to ensure she embraced her upper school and saw it as a permanent destination rather than risk her thinking it might be temporary. She settled well and we were really not sure it would be the right move to change, but by the time we got the results and the place was available, it was clear the school was struggling to challenge her.
I think the schools now administer their own 12 plus tests at various times. Check their websites to see if they tell you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's usually February/March time.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the information is here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... dure-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now