Tropicmama

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
IncyWincy

Re: Tropicmama

Post by IncyWincy »

Well done TropicMama and TropicBoy! Enjoy the next step.
2littleboys wrote: Thinking of you too IncyWincy :)
Aww thanks for the mention, well we got the result we were expecting regarding not qualifying (sort of). Son has taken it fantastically well and basically carried on as usual with a smile on his face. He was really pleased for friends who qualified and more upset for a friend who didn't than he was for himself. It's actually such a relief and we're very proud of him.

The 'sort of' is because I'd made the mistake of saying that if the results were standardised in a similar way to those he'd had from school, we'd expect him to get around 110-120. Actually the result was some way off this, with a really low score for Maths. This was a a bit of a shock for us, we decided not to tell him the score!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm so glad that both of you have resurfaced. :D

I'm delighted that it's good news for you, TropicMama, and well done to TropicJunior.

IncyWincy, I'm sorry to hear the result was lower than you expected, but I truly congratulate you for the way you have handled it, and also IncyWincyJunior for his stoic response and his concern for his friend.

If you have a diffuser, please could you waft a little of that same spirit around the rest of the forum? :roll:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Congratulations Tropicmama.

I'm so sorry that your DS didn't qualify inceywincey. But my goodness, what a lovely & compassionate boy you've got.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Incy, glad your DS was so compassionate, and that you are so supportive of him.

He'll turn out well.

My DD2 (who may be sitting next year) raised an eyebrow at all the shenanigans she': heard DD1 describing over the year, and her plans to travel to school next year, and announced that she thinks it sounds like a lot of hard work and she thinks maybe she'd prefer to go to the non-selective 400 yards up the road than "mess around on trains every day"!.... she also started to work out the number of Stampy Minecraft videos she could watch if she didn't do eleven plus DIY prep :roll:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

She will go far, (but maybe not on a train to school) :lol:
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Heh. She's currently tucked up in bed quietly reading a new book we've just obtained called "Madame Pamplemousse's incredible edibles". She's a slow reader due to the dyslexia but I'm so pleased she actually enjoys reading it I am "forgetting"
The time accidentally on purpose....
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

IncyWincy

Thanks for updating us.

As a previous poster said your son sounds like a very compassionate child which is sure to stand him in good stead. I hope he will be very happy at whichever Secondary school he goes to.

Glad you are both ok.
tropicmama

Post by tropicmama »

IncyWincy, your DS sounds awesome and the school he will go to will be lucky to have someone like him. I hope there is one near you that he will like to go to. That was my main worry for my DS because the only non-GS catchment school for us is one that doesn't have a very nice reputation, and he was determined not to go there. He was willing to travel a bit further rather than go to our local comp had he not qualified.

This week has been a mad mix of trying to keep on top of everything, attempting to keep a semblance of routine and lots of school visits! Although he is still undecided, he has finally managed to narrow down his choices to two schools (hurrah!). While this is a good thing, he loved both so much that he can't decide. I told him his deadline is Friday evening, as we will be away for half term.
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

Thanks for the lovely comments. We're very lucky to be in an area with good comprehensive schools, although the decision is still difficult!

We've always been set on mixed schools, but despite only being 1.6 miles from our nearest mixed school we're too far to stand much chance of getting a place. Silly thing is that had he qualified, we are in catchment for a mixed grammar, close enough on past allocations and as his sibling is there it wouldn't have been an issue.

Any reassurance on boys only schools? This now seems to be the main option for him on distance and ability to get him there. The school seemed quite impressive at open eve, chatted to lots of teachers and they seemed very enthusiastic and helpful. The boys there seemed great and it is becoming more and more popular. Other parents have spoken very positively about it over the last few years and some of his current classmates will be going there.

The sticking point for me is that the 'Value added' figures for the school were well under 100, quite a contrast to other schools in the area. The head made an interesting point about not being able to reliably compare a boys school against a comprehensive - you need to compare the boys school against boys performance at a comprehensive, but even so, the difference was large.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

My daughter is at a girls'-only school and my two nephews attend all-boys schools. All three are very happy and none of them has said that they miss being schooled with the opposite sex. I know there have been various studies into the relative merits and disadvantages of single-sex education but I think it depends upon your own circumstances and what you make of the situation.

In summary, I don't think it's something to be concerned about. Of far more importance is whether you think your son "fits" with the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now