Tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Tutors

Post by anotherdad »

Jayhar wrote:I disagree with that - every child that passes gets a grammar school place so essentially they are not in competition, both can pass and get offered a place, neither success pushes out the other. Once they have the pass mark its down to distance from the school or other prominent criteria..so that is going to have more relevance. Preventing my child from passing does not give your child from the same area a better place but potentially does give a place to an out of county child I think (data geeks will correct me if I'm wrong :D ).
I'm afraid you're wrong Jayhar. As Aethel has explained, Bucks uses a standardised process, so children are absolutely in competition with each other. Approximately 30% will qualify. If your neighbour's child scores higher than your child and qualifies, that is one less qualifying space available for your child. In an extreme example, that child might have scored just enough to be the lowest standardised qualifier. Your child, having a standardised score slightly lower, would not qualify. Another way of looking at it is that if the entire cohort all receive the same coaching and somehow all improved their 11+ skills by the exact same amount, the net effect on who would qualify would be zero. The same 30% of children would qualify in the same way as if no one in the entire cohort had been coached at all.
Amber

Post by Amber »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm-referenced_test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tee156

Post by Tee156 »

Hi could you please also pm details for tutor around Chalfont St. Peter area
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

Our usual caution:

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible.

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
geogjjj

Post by geogjjj »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone might be able to PM me with any tutor recommendations for CSP/GX area please? I can find a lot of group sessions, but id really like to find someone to work with my daughter on a one to one basis,

Many thanks in advance :)
Temeura

Post by Temeura »

I am looking for a tutor in Aylesbury for my daughter. I have tried a few sites for tutors and have not received any replies. Please PM if you know of anyone.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

My advice - and you may choose to heed or ignore it - is that I would avoid the numerous tuition company websites that have sprung up in this area in recent times. My desktop analysis of them is that they overplay their abilities and crucially, don't display a strong enough knowledge of the Bucks system to be trustworthy.

If you don't get any PM recommendations, how confident do you feel doing it yourself? Lots of people very successfully prepare their children for the Bucks test, and it can take off some of the pressure because home tutoring and practice doesn't build up the perceived importance of the test the way paid-for external tuition can.

A couple of words of warning. The Bucks test is changing and so no one really has anything to go on other than the publicised guidance. Be wary of any tutor who professes to have a good track record and to understand the Bucks test because it's new to everyone this year. Secondly, treat recommendations with caution. Read further up this thread for an explanation of why competitive advantage is something not always readily given away. Your children are in competition with everyone else's for a finite number of places. If you had a good tutor, would you readily recommend them to a stranger so that you add to your child's competition? It's a ruthless standpoint but I sense from various messages on this forum that it's getting harder to find good tutors and that might be a reason for it.
Temeura

Post by Temeura »

Thanks for the response. I did not want to use the websites originally but I have not been able to find any tutors elsewhere.

My daughter has been doing the tests within the bond books for about a year and she always does well (between 85% and 100%) but I just wanted a tutor for the last 3 months for some fine tuning and to maybe provide my daughter with some tips/guidance.

I understand that even the Tutors are a bit in the dark due to the changes but I still feel like my daughter would benefit from some existence. I understand the part about competition but yes, I would recommend a good tutor to others.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

See if anyone here can offer any advice. It sounds as if she's doing well without a tutor. I'm not sure I see the value a tutor would add if she's scoring highly already, but that's your choice.

Have you read the sticky topic about DIY for Bucks entry? It suggests books and resources appropriate for Bucks.