Tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jay123

Tutors

Post by Jay123 »

Hi All

Can someone please send me a private message for any 11 plus tutors in and around Chalfont St Peter?

Appreciate any help/information anyone can provide.

Son is currently in year 5 & has been attending a groip tuition but I am not overly impressed with them.

Thanks again

Jay
Jayhar

Re: Tutors

Post by Jayhar »

Hi Jay123

Did you get any response to your query on tutors? I am also looking for a private tutor in or around the Chalfont St Peter area. Funny enough my daughter is also in a group session currently in Gerrards Cross that I am not too impressed with :)
If you have had any good recommendations please do PM me with the details
Or anyone else - please do send me your experiences and thoughts on who I could use. Good tutor recommendations seem to be top secret and everyone feigns no knowledge - everyone seems to hold these close to their chest so if you are new to an area its like cracking military codes!

Thanks all
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Jayhar wrote:Good tutor recommendations seem to be top secret and everyone feigns no knowledge - everyone seems to hold these close to their chest so if you are new to an area its like cracking military codes!
It's not surprising. After all, everyone is in competition with each other. There's no point buying an advantage then diminishing that advantage by recommending it to other people.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Good Evening Jayhar

I will PM you with the same number I PM'd to Jay123.
Jayhar

Post by Jayhar »

anotherdad wrote:
Jayhar wrote:Good tutor recommendations seem to be top secret and everyone feigns no knowledge - everyone seems to hold these close to their chest so if you are new to an area its like cracking military codes!
It's not surprising. After all, everyone is in competition with each other. There's no point buying an advantage then diminishing that advantage by recommending it to other people.

I disagree with that - every child that passes gets a grammar school place so essentially they are not in competition, both can pass and get offered a place, neither success pushes out the other. Once they have the pass mark its down to distance from the school or other prominent criteria..so that is going to have more relevance. Preventing my child from passing does not give your child from the same area a better place but potentially does give a place to an out of county child I think (data geeks will correct me if I'm wrong :D ).

But essentially the children are not in direct competition - everyone who passes has the opportunity of a grammar school place. Parents behaving like its 'kill or be killed' is really the issue (and not a very good example!). I have now found a lovely tutor (and thanks 2littleboys) and would happily share or recommend as I think as many that have the ability to do well in it should if thats what the child and parents want. I don't need to hold some other child down in order for my own to do well - it doesn't work like that.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

2littleboys & Jahar, please can you PM the tutor details? Thanks.
Jayhar

Post by Jayhar »

Have Pm'd you Blueberry -
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Jayhar beat me to it Blueberry!

Please PM if you want to know any further info :)
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Jahar, I'm not sure you are correct saying the children aren' in competition , unless they have changed the marking! Bucks is not a "get x percent and you will pass "exam.
The exam is "cohort marked". Each year 30% of kids will pass and 70% will fail.
So if 1000 children enter, their scores in the different sections will be combined up, put into line, and converted to a number so that 30% of the entrants will get 121 or more as their overall "result". (Score does not matter as none of the admission folk mind the actual score, it just needs to be 121 or more).
The other 70% will have a number less than 121.
So if you (eg) put an extra 100 super high-achieving kids into that exam, the other 1000 will have to perform a little bit better. Because they still only pass 30% of the kids entering. So yes, it is a competition of sorts. Sorry.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

.duplicate