Another question about admissions eligibility - renting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Louey

Another question about admissions eligibility - renting

Post by Louey »

Does anyone know how strict Bucks are about evidence of renting? We are intending to move in the summer but if we can only get a rental agreement for a year, would they accept this? The admissions criteria state that you should have a tenancy agreement which lasts for at least 6 months after admission (so at least 18 months if you have just started a rental agreement at the time of putting in the application). But I am not sure that all rental agreements last this long. And do you get any chance to explain extenuating circumstances?
pushymother

Re: Another question about admissions eligibility - renting

Post by pushymother »

I would suggest that you speak with the landlord and ask for a longer tenancy and explain that it is required for school admissions. Tell them to put in a break clause so they feel secure they can give you two months notice to quit and you can give one months notice after 6 months or a year.

We were able to do this in a different county. We had a two year agreement with the break clause anytime after 6 months. We broke the agreement after 16 months when we bought our house close to the school where our DD landed.
Louey

Post by Louey »

Thanks - that's really helpful. I didn't know you could request tenancy length and break clauses, I just assumed the landlord set the conditions.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Oh my goodness, we are moving next week and I didn't even check this out!
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Louey wrote:Thanks - that's really helpful. I didn't know you could request tenancy length and break clauses, I just assumed the landlord set the conditions.
If you end up with a tenancy being managed by a letting agency (as we did) make sure they don't dismiss you out of hand without actually asking the landlord!

With the break clause the landlord can be reassured that they can serve notice if their circumstances change, but you have a long tenancy to show admissions.

Good luck :>)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I am not 100% certain but break clauses may make the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement invalid, or are not compatible with such an agreement so whilst a good idea may not be as simple as first seems. I'd be interested to hear people's experience. We had a tenant who needed this, we granted an initial 6 months AST and wrote a side letter stating that as long as they were a good tenant we had every intention of the agreement being a long term one. Apparently the local council (not Bucks I might add) were happy with this, but others may be different. The tenant is still in the property two years later. I would always be reluctant to give a long tenancy agreement to a new tenant as you really don't know what they will be like and if they will pay on time and it is hard to get them out if the tenancy is a long one. It may seem harsh but is the reality, so don't shoot the messenger! If they were an existing tenant and needed new tenancy rather than a periodic one (it becomes 'periodic' after the initial term) then I would be far more open to that. I do think it is discriminatory against those who cannot afford to buy a property and have no choice but to rent for school admission policies to require long tenancy agreements.
Bee

Post by Bee »

PettswoodFiona wrote:I am not 100% certain but break clauses may make the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement invalid, or are not compatible with such an agreement so whilst a good idea may not be as simple as first seems. I'd be interested to hear people's experience. We had a tenant who needed this, we granted an initial 6 months AST and wrote a side letter stating that as long as they were a good tenant we had every intention of the agreement being a long term one. Apparently the local council (not Bucks I might add) were happy with this, but others may be different. The tenant is still in the property two years later. I would always be reluctant to give a long tenancy agreement to a new tenant as you really don't know what they will be like and if they will pay on time and it is hard to get them out if the tenancy is a long one. If they were an existing tenant and needed new tenancy rather than a periodic one (it becomes 'periodic' after the initial term) then I would be far more open to that. I do think it is discriminatory against those who cannot afford to buy a property and have no choice but to rent for school admission policies to require long tenancy agreements.
2 year tenancy with a break clause will still be deemed as an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you can state that the Tenant can give 1 months notice and the Landlord can give two months notice after 6 months.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now