DS took a mock at the weekend. It was a disaster

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Louey

DS took a mock at the weekend. It was a disaster

Post by Louey »

I don't know what to do. It's not that he's not able. He is. He clearly needs practice at doing it under exam conditions. This is the first time he's done anything like this and it's longer than tests he has done at school.

I know he's tired - he said he got tired during the second paper but I hadn't realised that meant he didn't actually answer most of the paper. I suspect he daydreamed through half of it. I had expected he wouldn't answer every question but he didn't even attempt 60% of the questions on the 2nd paper.

I had intended to show him what questions he got wrong before I saw he had done so badly - now I am worried I am going to freak him out. But I need to get across somehow that he has to actually try!

Help!
Guest55

Re: DS took a mock at the weekend. It was a disaster

Post by Guest55 »

Does your child go to a Bucks Primary?
Louey

Post by Louey »

No Guest. That's why we are doing the mocks. He won't get any practice beforehand.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He will get the preparation test two days before the real one; everyone is offered that. It will be in a GS hall using a CD to mimic the 'real' one.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Hi Loey. Try not to read too much into this, I know it's worrying when your DC seems to find it so much of a challenge but there are several things to bear in mind.

1) this may have been the first time ever that they have been in a "proper" exam room under strict time conditions, and for longer than any "usual" school test. Twice.

2) the mock tests (I presume you used some sort of external provider) are testing cohorts of mostly tutored children. So if you get any sort of "ranking" you're comparing your DC with kids who are mostly tutored for that specific style of test question, and a more "practiced" cohort than those who will sit the actual test.

3) are you planning a further mock test later on? It may be worth considering this to improve your DCs confidence as they will likely do better next time. My DD sat two mocks and the first one she had a very low NVR score and overall weak ranking. She found the second one far more achievable because she was used to the format, and did better, and she did pass the eventual exam.

4) you still have time. Some folks haven't even started yet! If timing is an isse then work
On building stamina gradually. 10 min paper to time, then do two back to back. Then do a 40 min type paper once a week or once a fortnight in the summer.

Breathe, it'll be ok!
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

What Aethel said.

I have PM'd you Louey.

2 little boys
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I third what Aethel said.

DS sat a mock and failed both papers miserably. We are now trying to work on his area of weakness. Problem is that he doesn't attend a Bucks school. So he's not being taught what he needs to know for the test. I have friends attending a primary in High Wycombe and they are working on CGP maths books. So although Bucks schools aren't to be seen to prepare their children for the test per se, they are still doing 11+ work using 11+ books :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CGP produce non-11+ material - any Bucks school using specific 11+ material should be reported.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

This is definitely 11+ material. I've seen it with my very own eyes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Can you PM me a link to the book?

Does it say CEM on it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now