OOA William Borlase. IA Wycombe High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
emilys_mummy

OOA William Borlase. IA Wycombe High

Post by emilys_mummy »

Morning,

I got some brilliant advice in September 2016 when my daughter was just starting on her 11+ journey and have been lurking in these forums since then.

We were very pleased that our daughter qualified and now I have a quick question.

My daughter, and myself and my DH, loved William Borlase but we're out of catchment for that but would still like to put that as our number 1 choice. We are only about a mile from Wycombe High and although we would be extremely happy with getting a place there we still want it to go as our number two choice.

Could someone please advise whether the placement of the schools on our application is taken into account during the allocation. Ie would we possibly not get a place at Wycombe High because we put it second and not first even though we're so close?

We're just wanting to make sure we put our right choices down and really want to listen to what my daughter wants. We've told her there's pretty much no chance of us getting William Borlase but she's still determined to put it as number 1.

Thank you so much in advance.
Tinkers

Re: OOA William Borlase. IA Wycombe High

Post by Tinkers »

Placement on CAF doesn’t affect your chances of getting a School as such. If you don’t get your first choice, your second choice becomes your first choice. You’ll be allocated the highest place School that can offer you a place.

See this for explanation of equal preference system
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

If it’s not possible to offer you your #1 choice then you’re 2nd choice becomes your first iyswim.

As you know for the previous 2 years SWBGS hasn’t offered all of catchment.
emilys_mummy

Post by emilys_mummy »

Tinkers wrote:Placement on CAF doesn’t affect your chances of getting a School as such. If you don’t get your first choice, your second choice becomes your first choice. You’ll be allocated the highest place School that can offer you a place.

See this for explanation of equal preference system
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you so much for your speedy reply, Tinker. That's great and a very informative link.
emilys_mummy

Post by emilys_mummy »

kittymum wrote:If it’s not possible to offer you your #1 choice then you’re 2nd choice becomes your first iyswim.

As you know for the previous 2 years SWBGS hasn’t offered all of catchment.
Thanks Kittymum. Yes, we realise that and after the school visit I was glued to the catchment areas etc working it all out. I would probably just put Wycombe High as number 1 choice but equally we have said we will try and acomodate DDs choices as much as possible. I guess it's almost a 'wasted' first place but as long as it won't affect our Wycombe High application then we'll go for SWBGS as number 1 and Wycombe High as number 2.

Feel relieved now, thanks for replying so quickly.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

emilys_mummy wrote:I guess it's almost a 'wasted' first place but as long as it won't affect our Wycombe High application then we'll go for SWBGS as number 1 and Wycombe High as number 2.
I think that's exactly it. You're in a great position in that you know you will be offered a place at WHS if you don't get SWBGS so you can afford to give a space on the CAF to SWBGS. A complete surprise in the popularity and qualification rates for the immediate area around SWBGS might throw up an unexpected place but it would be a very long shot.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

You never know though- all of SWBGS catchment is also catchment for WHS and JHGS so it just depends what people choose. You’d have got a space 3 years ago. My children are at SWBGS and love it but we also have many friends with children at WHS (and JHGS) who are equally happy. Also bear in mind SWBGS takes additional children from year 9 and I know of girls who have moved from WHS then.
emilys_mummy

Post by emilys_mummy »

anotherdad wrote:
emilys_mummy wrote:I guess it's almost a 'wasted' first place but as long as it won't affect our Wycombe High application then we'll go for SWBGS as number 1 and Wycombe High as number 2.
I think that's exactly it. You're in a great position in that you know you will be offered a place at WHS if you don't get SWBGS so you can afford to give a space on the CAF to SWBGS. A complete surprise in the popularity and qualification rates for the immediate area around SWBGS might throw up an unexpected place but it would be a very long shot.
Phew, thank you so much anotherdad. That's exactly it, but we obviously didn't want to do anything to jeopardise our chances with Wycombe High.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now