11+ preparation overseas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HP

Post by HP »

Anonymous wrote:Thankyou HP for the huge insight into your practise schedule.

It will be very helpful when I start with mine, but
could you pls advise why you feel the KS2 Science will help.

I will not only have to cover the Maths, and VR but also English for our entrance test. so science was not on the agenda at all :P unless I am missing something. :(

Like you I plan to do the revision at home, and hope to inject some fun in as you appear to have successfully done. Also as Patricia advises little and often.

I can confirm that science advice was directed to the USA entrant only in terms of coping with Yr 7. Whilst there is a slim possibility that in terms of vocabularly for VR, being up to date with the UK science might be helpful, I don't think this is significant for a UK child.

We certainly didn't do any science for our entrance exams :) which were maths and VR.

HP
usa

Thank you HP!

Post by usa »

Thanks HP for all that wonderful help!! A timetable is a very good idea (especially as I have 2 other children as well) to get in to a habit. I think my main concern is, even though that particular exam is only VR, we must not forget the maths and comprehension etc. Schooling here does not match up to UK standards and I can safely say he would not have covered even half the curriculum - double whammy really. However forwarned is forearmed and with your advice and Patricia's, and a bit of determination we will give it a go. Bond I have found, very good (for us personally) to show gaps in knowledge in Maths. Nfer papers and IPS we are just looking at, and "enjoying" at the moment. They break up next month for 3 months (oh joy!!), so your routine I will definately look at further. Organise a structured day, work chart and reward - good idea!
Have also taken Patricia's advice re the mental maths recall, reading a lot of books - mostly ordered via UK ("Who is Carrie War?" a librarian, here, asked me the other day!!!!). Tx again so much for taking the time. I feel so cut off over here. Ya'll have a good day!
usa

Thanks Patricia!

Post by usa »

Thanks for keeping up with me Patricia!
Are working on mental maths after school at moment (we are very rusty!!) and working way through some good childrens novels. All enjoy playing scrabble, too. Find the code questions a real killer in NFER and good idea of yours to put 'abcd' etc at end of alphabet - hadn't thought of that!!!!! No pressure of timing at moment, but I do keep an eye on it.
Appreciate your comments re BOND, and I know for Bucks they are irrelevant, but they show me gaps (horror!!), and are a good filler for 30 mins. Am about to buy Bright Sparks, AFN and E Papers so we are all set.
Will turn to you for guidance over the next few months. Thanks in advance! Have read your 'help section' - very useful indeed.
Thanks again
USA
HP

Post by HP »

Hi USA,

Have two other children also, (younger), so you have my sympathy. They did pretty well all things considered, I actually think my son was delighted to have the run of the Playstation without having to share :lol: .

I'm sure its no consolation but some of the UK state primaries aren't up to speed with 11+ anyway, they are geared towards exams in May (at least 6 months after the 11+).

Best of British :)

HP

Post by Guest »

Patricia, we're in Berks and he's not to sit 11+ until Nov 2007. So still have time. But am already using your excellent advise and am getting him up to scratch with four operations, via mental maths games, have recently started with the scrabble which he thoroughly enjoys, but still trying to find time to listen to him read. :roll:
Just been worrying about when to start with test practise and revision as there are 4 different disciplines to cover.(VR, NVR, Maths, English, short story too!)
Will follow HP's advise re a timetable. But considering whats to be covered and as HP pointed out, if they don't cover everything req'd for maths at school, time needed to do that too!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Guest,

I posted a reply to your post that is more specific to the Berks curriculum (Bucks has only got VB) in the Bekshire section.

Regards

Catherine
usa

word list

Post by usa »

I "feed" off this site every day! It is so helpful.
Anyway, just to say thanks to Patricia for that great word list for vocabulary, listed on this site. Nice of you to take the time to help us all.
USA
(and yes, I have to do the familiarisation tests with him, myself).
Patricia, can I buy "Bright Sparks" though this site?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear USA

Bright Sparks is written by Susan Daughtrey, yes you can buy from this website, ensure you get the multiple choice version [ Do NOT buy her Books 1-7 as irrelevant for Bucks]

A tip, there are 5, although I only use 4 types of question that can be answered directly from the answer sheet, saves time constantly going backwards and forwards from the question booklet to the answer sheet

They are types [as identified by IPS] BDEH and Q

D and H are words that are opposite/closest in meaning, the answer sheet has 3 words one side 3 words the other.

Q, compound words, again the choices are there for you child to mark, unless he is unsure, then needs to write them out on the question booklet.

E, finding the hidden 4 letter word between two words, the answer sheet very kindly splits the answers into pairs of words.

Type B....technically you can answer directly from sheet ie it gives you 5 words, need to find three that are the same or related leaving two odd, the writers set traps eg alter church priest modify change, the word alter has been put next to church, puts the child in the mindset of altar in a church, but of course its a different spelling.

I therefore prefer my students to find the three the same/related, then cross them off as a double check saying to themselves yes these 3 are the same because...

Patricia
usa

Post by usa »

Dear Patricia
Please would you be able to advise how to do the "missing 3 letter word" questions in Nfer VR? Even with the answer sheet, it is so difficult to do!!
With time of the essence, on the day, any ideas how to crack this one?
Thank you for your time.
USA
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear USA

Yes, my tutored children fing this one quite difficult and if your spelling isn't up to scratch, can impose even more problems.

Example: Today we visited the caal.

First strategy: Sentence should be a clue to the 'whole' word, although in this instance not much of a clue -somewhere we might visit.

Second strategy: Space the letters out with enough room to fit the 3 letter words given on the answer sheet.

C --- A --- A --- L

Then start trying the words in each of the spaces, the answer is pit the child would try pit

pitC---A---A---L

CpitA--- A --- L

C--- Apit --- A--- L found the word capital

This involves speed writing, tell all my students. for once they DO NOT have to write neatly, as long as they can read it, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Some children only need to space out the letters and then visualise the word in between the letters others need to write it down.

Hope this helps

Patricia

PS......no need to put the dashes in between the letters just a space.