Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 pm
Posts: 78
Dear All
DS qualified..many thanks for all the help.

We live in Milton Keynes and need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin (which is just 15 min commute from our place) but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference

many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 1763
beoptima wrote:
Dear All
DS qualified..many thanks for all the help.

We live in Milton Keynes and need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin (which is just 15 min commute from our place) but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference

many thanks

What did you think of each when you visited them?

All other things being broadly equal, I'd always go for the easier commute so that your son can play a full part in any post-school activities and doesn't have a horrible journey every day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 16254
Knowing all three we chose the Floyd, DS was very happy there.

AGS - single gender - we did not like the 'old boy/male' feel of the school - its site is not great either.

RLS - did not like the lack of 'individuality' - no orchestra/low profile music, lots of staff changes, lots of negatives in the 'show'

SHFGS - a school on the way up not sitting on its laurels - great facilities for all subjects [equally value all abilities], good pastoral support, great SEN support.

What were your thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 pm
Posts: 78
anotherdad wrote:
beoptima wrote:
Dear All
DS qualified..many thanks for all the help.

We live in Milton Keynes and need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin (which is just 15 min commute from our place) but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference

many thanks

What did you think of each when you visited them?

All other things being broadly equal, I'd always go for the easier commute so that your son can play a full part in any post-school activities and doesn't have a horrible journey every day.


Thank you. We liked all 3 to be honest but were slightly more inclined towards Aylesbury Boys but I agree with you on post school activities. It gives us a good view to think about the options


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 pm
Posts: 78
Guest55 wrote:
Knowing all three we chose the Floyd, DS was very happy there.

AGS - single gender - we did not like the 'old boy/male' feel of the school - its site is not great either.

RLS - did not like the lack of 'individuality' - no orchestra/low profile music, lots of staff changes, lots of negatives in the 'show'

SHFGS - a school on the way up not sitting on its laurels - great facilities for all subjects [equally value all abilities], good pastoral support, great SEN support.

What were your thoughts?


Many thanks. We were slightly more inclined towards AGS but SHF was equally good no doubt. RLS, we felt convenient purely from commute point of view but there was nothing more that showed it was any better than AGS or SHF. As you said SHF spent a lot for the new science facility and looking to constantly improve


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 am
Posts: 128
I have my ds at AGS and dd at SHF. Based on that my preference would be SHF. Better pastoral care, encourages individuality and looks to support the child not simply hand out detentions! Better music department and if you love sport you are likely to be encouraged even if you are not if the highest standard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 1:48 pm
Posts: 23
OP - Are you sure that you will get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham from MK as it is technically OOC? The allocation distances are shrinking and I am worried that this may be the year where MK pupils don't get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham GS because the schools have reached their PAN from within catchment.

I am in MK as well and am getting worried abt this.

Moreover, MK council CAF has only 4 choices (Bucks have 6) which makes it more difficult if one of the choices is used with a borderline QE score.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:36 pm
Posts: 363
Location: High Wycombe
Vote from me for SHF.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 16254
QE :shock:

Why would you put this if you live in MK???

There are some great schools in MK - put a Bucks GS down 1st and 2nd and then two local choices? Make sure you will get one of the MK choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 9235
Location: Buckinghamshire
jackman wrote:
The allocation distances are shrinking and I am worried that this may be the year where MK pupils don't get a place in Aylesbury or Buckingham GS because the schools have reached their PAN from within catchment.

I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that allocation distances are shrinking? The distances for all four grammar schools in Aylesbury and Buckingham have been very consistent for over a decade.

**** will freeze over before the Aylesbury schools allocate solely to catchment, simply because of their proximity to the county boundary. Simple geography.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021