11 Plus Exams Forum
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/

Royal grammar Admission
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=52503
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Parent-AA [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Royal grammar Admission

DS scored score removed by Moderator in bucks but we live in Lower Earley( Reading). I know few kids go from here but what is the realistic chance if I put in CAF for DS. Please help very confused. The local school( RB) is tough as he just passed that one, Slough Consortium 119 so thinking of Herschel's too ( bus goes from here for that too)

Please help if someone came across this situation. Will be great help for CAF.

Author:  Tinkers [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

You have some excellent local schools. They would be a better option than travelling to Bucks, even if you could get a place. They would allow your DS to participate in after school activites and have local friends too.

See here for Bucks Allocations viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46245

Author:  Guest55 [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

That would be an unsustainable journey - RGS is on the 'wrong' side of HW from you.

Author:  Sally-Anne [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

The score is irrelevant, and it is all down to distance (see the link that Tinkers posted.)

As you must be around 17 miles away, there is only one year in the last decade when you would have been allocated a place.

It would be a wasted space on the CAF, and that's before you get down to the logistics of travel.

Author:  anotherdad [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

Based on the last two years' allocations, no chance. Only once in the last 12 years has the allocation distance for RGS gone far enough out to cover your address, back in 2015. It was close in 2014 but for all other years before and since, you are a long way outside the area.

I'd look elsewhere. It would take up a space on your CAF and even if the allocation were to be unusual and include you, it's a horrible journey.

Edited to add: cross-posted with Sally-Anne.

Author:  BlueBerry [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!

Author:  Parent-AA [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

BlueBerry wrote:
I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!



Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.

Author:  Sally-Anne [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

BlueBerry wrote:
Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!

I do indeed. The trouble is that WHS has allocated to quite wide distances in recent years, and some parents are foolish enough to put their DC through the appalling journey.

Parent-AA, I am glad you won't be one of them, for your son's sake.

Author:  anotherdad [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

Parent-AA wrote:
Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.

Good for you. The other parents probably thought "here's another car-share opportunity :D "

Good luck finding a decent option closer to home.

Author:  BlueBerry [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Royal grammar Admission

Parent-AA wrote:
BlueBerry wrote:
I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic. Your DS will get 1-1.5hrs of homework per night. When will he able to do this? What about after school activities? One of the reasons that my DS is so looking forward to going to grammar school is participate in sports and other afterschool activities. I fear that if your DS goes to RGS he will be quite lonely and isolated and won't have any friends around him.

Sally-Anne, do you remember me telling you about Reading DCs applying for Bucks schools?!



Thank you.. we thought so too but was misled by some of the parents whose kids are are going to Wycombe High, Royal grammar and other schools form here. Not willing to take that distance anyway.

You are welcome. I am getting increasingly horrified at the journeys that some parents are considering for their children & I'm so glad that you aren't one of them

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/