SWBGS catchement from Maidenhead SL6

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sushant.jain

SWBGS catchement from Maidenhead SL6

Post by Sushant.jain »

Dear All,

My daughter qualified for Bucks and now we are confused on which school to apply for and in what priority. We want to apply to SWBGS however some of my friend has been telling me that Maidenhead (SL6 3NY) doesn’t come under the school catchment. How can I get clarity on this ... any advice will help

Regards
Sushant
kittymum

Re: SWBGS catchement from Maidenhead SL6

Post by kittymum »

It depends where you are in Maidenhead- catchment maps are in Bucks website (and maybe the schools). The school has not allocated to all of catchment for the last 2 years.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sushant.jain wrote:Dear All,

My daughter qualified for Bucks and now we are confused on which school to apply for and in what priority. We want to apply to SWBGS however some of my friend has been telling me that Maidenhead (SL6 3NY) doesn’t come under the school catchment. How can I get clarity on this ... any advice will help

Regards
Sushant
The map is on the website, if you can work out where you live (it's not in great detail). Perhaps there is a 'catchment look up' function on the Bucks website?

http://www.swbgs.com/index.php/home/admissions/

X-posted!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
WillowFae

Post by WillowFae »

https://services.buckscc.gov.uk/school- ... ?view=list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This lists the schools and distance from you. You'd then need to check allocation profiles to see if historically the school you want has gone out as far as you.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Based on info on Bucks cc website your postcode is out of catchment and 4.15 miles away so you would not have been offered a place in the last two years.

I saw you have asked similar question re WHS - which Bucks school were you most interested in? SWBGS and WHS are very different from each other - which did your dd prefer when she visited?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Based on info on Bucks cc website your postcode is out of catchment and 4.15 miles away so you would not have been offered a place in the last two years.

I saw you have asked similar question re WHS - which Bucks school were you most interested in? SWBGS and WHS are very different from each other - which did your dd prefer when she visited?
Sushant.jain

Post by Sushant.jain »

kittymum wrote:Based on info on Bucks cc website your postcode is out of catchment and 4.15 miles away so you would not have been offered a place in the last two years.

To be honest we are confused but I think WHS might be a better choice based on previous year trend. It seems that SWBGS doesn’t give places to kids outside of catchement. Also, any views on how is Beaconsfeild grammar school.. is there any transport facility available from Maidenhead to these school... thanks Sushant
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OP, you have good schools in Maidenhead, I may be wrong but your post makes it sound as though you just want a grammar school, any grammar school. My apologies if you have visited all 3 & feel as though your daughter would fit in well. Please think about the journey & staying after school for sports, drama etc, as well as the benefits of having local friends. BHS is a school that suits some girls very well, and others not so much. It's not a great journey from Maidenhead to Beaconsfield.
Edited to add: there won't be school buses from Maidenhead as you are not in Bucks, I would be surprised if there are private ones as it is not a journey many would want to make, but others may know better. Your DD could get a school bus from Burnham but it might be expensive & there would be no guarantee of a place on it.
scary mum
ImSpartacus

Post by ImSpartacus »

We live in the same post code and accept obtaining a place as SWB is long shot based the last two years allocations. There are other good options within Bucks and Reading School for my DS.

My other DS is doing well at his school in Maidenhead however it has been a challenge as for all the school eulogizes they still have poor teachers that have affected his learning/motivation. This makes the GS route and a change of scenery more appealing this time around.

If I had a daughter I'd have no hesitation in applying to Newlands which is just around the corner. With some irony it has been a sought after destination for families living across the border however it success means it easily fills it places within catchment.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ImSpartacus wrote:My other DS is doing well at his school in Maidenhead however it has been a challenge as for all the school eulogizes they still have poor teachers that have affected his learning/motivation. This makes the GS route and a change of scenery more appealing this time around.
A Grammar is no guarantee of good teaching ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now