Being aware

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Being aware

Post by Etienne »

It hasn't been called the 11+ for quite a few years either. :roll:
Good point - although, dealing with different areas, I find myself less keen on the fashion for renaming things (in some instances to make them sound better?).
"Selective Eligibility Test", anyone?

Recently on Appeals we had the IAB or "Independent Assessment Board".
If they stuck to "review panel", life might be a bit easier. :wink:
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Etienne wrote:I find myself less keen on the fashion for renaming things (in some instances to make them sound better?).
Likewise, if the Bucks Heads had used the word "English" instead of "Verbal Reasoning", we would have a much clearer picture of the direction in which I (and quite a few other people) believe the new test is headed ...
patricia

Post by patricia »

The problem is how CEM and GL Assessment INTERPRET the words VERBAL REASONING (VR)

VR from CEM is comprehension/synonyms/antonyms/shuffled sentences/cloze

VR from GL Assessment is codes/analogies/antonyms/synonyms/manipulating letters and words i.e. the 21 types.

English from GL Assesment is Comprehension and SPAG(spelling, punctuation and grammar) etc

If as suspected the new Bucks test will include comprehension etc, then as Sally-Anne has suggested, The Grammar School Heads need to change their wording from VR to English.

Unless of course we take the Kent route which uses all 4 disciplines with one paper based on Reasoning (VR, NVR, Spatial Reasoning) and the other paper using English and Numeracy.

As others have stated let’s wait for the announcement in November.

Personally, due to the confusion on whether VR or English will be used, I am concentrating on Numeracy and NVR with some vocabulary work thrown in. I will then adapt accordingly in November when further details are released.

Patricia
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

I'm watching this thread with interest. I've one more child to put through a secondary transfer test, though fortunately not next year. I wouldn't mind knowing what we're in for, though.

The 21 question types sound fairly complicated!
patricia

Post by patricia »

BiscuitEater wrote:The 21 question types sound fairly complicated!
Quite the opposite, the 21 types are relatively easy to master.

I was saddened to hear this morning of a child being taught these 21 types for the new Bucks test.

At this moment in time I believe parents should be concentrating on Numeracy and NVR until it is clear what The Grammar School Heads mean by the term Verbal Reasoning. Not too long to wait.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

patricia wrote:
BiscuitEater wrote:The 21 question types sound fairly complicated!
Quite the opposite, the 21 types are relatively easy to master.
Which is precisely why the GS Heads said that the test was no longer fit for purpose, and why I don't believe that we are returning to that format.

Heed Patricia's advice!