Wycombe High school Travel from Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tirukami

Wycombe High school Travel from Reading

Post by tirukami »

Hi,

My DD and friend's DD are thinking about Wycombe High school..We are preferring the Kendrick for 1st choice but for 2nd choice, we are thinking about between Wycombe school and Herschel's.

Do we have any information about transport like car pooling or bus transports for Wycombe Girls school from Reading...?? Also, the distance calculator shows 13.8 Miles from my postcode to school so unsure whether score of Score removed by moderator as not relevant to Bucks admssions will be enough to get the place? Also heard from one of Wycombe parents that coaches are available from Maidenhead...Is there any chance for coaches to make start from Reading??

While reading the other threads, I understand the risk involved with car pooling so going edgy towards herschel's for 2nd choice based due to School bus transport..... Any inputs really appreciated....
mad?

Re: Wycombe High school Travel from Reading

Post by mad? »

Tirukami if yo do a search there was as similar thread to this a few days ago.

Please remove the score from your post as, at the risk of repeating what has already been posted elsewhere it is irrelevant for Bucks schools, as you will have seen from their admissions policy here: http://www.whs.bucks.sch.uk/userfiles/w ... t%2017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and know from your visit to the school.
In case for some reason you are unable to read the other thread about this journey, the long and short of it is that it is a nightmare and very long. Worse still it cannot be done effectively by public transport so, being reliant on private transport your DD would have very limited opportunity to participate in the whole of school life and benefit from what the school offers. Herschels is a much better bet, depending of course on how near to Reading Station you are.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Wycombe from Reading would be a hideous and long journey everyday for the next 5/7 years.

Your score should be fine for kendrick.

Cross posted with Mad?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As above. I would scrap any thoughts of commuting from Reading. Put the two local schools down first followed by other local options.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

See this thread too.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 25#p641725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tbh, I’ve been in this forum for several years. This is the first year that I can remember anyone asking about the journey from Reading to the Wycombe area and this year I’ve seen several. I’m not really sure why all of a sudden.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Tinkers wrote:See this thread too.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 25#p641725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tbh, I’ve been in this forum for several years. This is the first year that I can remember anyone asking about the journey from Reading to the Wycombe area and this year I’ve seen several. I’m not really sure why all of a sudden.
I think I saw a post a few days ago where someone said they knew someone whose child was travelling to Wycombe. These things then take on a life of their own as part of the school gate chatter. The suggestion (true or not) that someone with a score of x is making the journey every day is presumably enough to legitimise it as an option, coupled with the misconception that a "good score" somehow made it all possible. I think it was Guest55 who also pointed out that a number of commuting WHS girls had left early in year seven so that the school had to advertise for students. Whether those were Reading girls or other of far-flung kids being put through a horrible journey from elsewhere is unknown.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

anotherdad wrote:I think I saw a post a few days ago where someone said they knew someone whose child was travelling to Wycombe. These things then take on a life of their own as part of the school gate chatter.
I think that some tutors have a hand in it too:

"Hi All, does anyone have a list of grammar schools that don't have catchment area restriction e.g QE. Would really appreciate that. We are ready to move. Thanks."

Response given by a tutor:

"A non-exhaustive list for you, but please visit individually to confirm :)

- QE / HB
- Sutton schools (Nonsuch, Sutton GS, Wallington CGS, Wallington High School for Girls and Wilson’s)
- Bucks grammar schools (handful list)
- St Olaves, Orpington
- Gloucestershire Grammar schools
- Bexley Grammars
- Mill Hill
and so on.."
worriedfolks

Post by worriedfolks »

I saw this and was shocked, you'd think they would know better!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am really baffled by this.

Although I haven't seen the Bucks allocations by area/LA for 2017 yet, in 2014 - 2016 there were no allocations from Bucks to Reading pupils save for <5 in 2014, for John Hampden. I think that was probably just a single child.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

tirukami you have really good chance for Kendrick so good luck but as mentioned by folks - pls do not think it has to be grammar school only.
On side note what happen to your DD for HBS second round ? Is she in Band A? You can put that too if you willing to relocate - again you need to consider all facts.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now