Year 5 parent's evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Year 5 parent's evening

Post by anotherdad »

AHS have tested my daughter's year very regularly over the years. Too much for my liking.

You can't fatten a pig by continually weighing it.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Headteacher’s Recommendations is under following 2 criteria - Grammar School Suitability & Attitude to Learning - I feel that one should build questions on basis of that.
I am sure class teacher feedback is very much important on Headteacher’s Recommendations

Grammar School Suitability:
Description
1 Exceptionally able so very highly recommended. Outstanding student academically.
2 Very able so recommended without any reservation. Academically very able. Grammar school appropriate
3 Recommended with reservation. Grammar school may be appropriate in some cases.
4 Not recommended for grammar school. Wide range of children from those who could be top ability in an upper school to those requiring support.

Attitude to Learning:
1 Enjoys challenge and is a highly motivated independent learner
2 Consistently hardworking and reliable
3 Output varies
4 Lacks self-organisation, requires support ( this is not a recommendation)
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

neo1232 wrote:Headteacher’s Recommendations is under following 2 criteria - Grammar School Suitability & Attitude to Learning - I feel that one should build questions on basis of that.
I am sure class teacher feedback is very much important on Headteacher’s Recommendations

Grammar School Suitability:
Description
1 Exceptionally able so very highly recommended. Outstanding student academically.
2 Very able so recommended without any reservation. Academically very able. Grammar school appropriate
3 Recommended with reservation. Grammar school may be appropriate in some cases.
4 Not recommended for grammar school. Wide range of children from those who could be top ability in an upper school to those requiring support.

Attitude to Learning:
1 Enjoys challenge and is a highly motivated independent learner
2 Consistently hardworking and reliable
3 Output varies
4 Lacks self-organisation, requires support ( this is not a recommendation)
Thank you neo1232.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Guest55 wrote:
lea2124 wrote: She knows what is required to be of grammar school material. She understands the pressure the kids are under and knows if my son will be capable or Not!
A good GS does not put students 'under pressure' ... having taught in one for a number of years, this is not what they are about at all.
We didn't want a GS to put our DS 'under pressure' either ... pastoral care was a number one priority.
As you know I absolutely agree G55. My Dd has been under a lot less pressure at a GS than she was at the comp. Certainly the GS that my daughter attends and I imagine other too are fully aware that most of the young people there don't need pressurising because they put themselves under enough already so actually they need encouragement to take the pressure off.
Regarding tests. The GS that my Dd attends doesn't test any more than the comp did. My view is that tests help young people to prepare for their GCSE's and the more the better. A couple of years ago my Dd was terrified of tests and went to pieces when she sat them. Now, she takes them in her stride and no long er gets stressed. This would not be the case had she not had frequent opportunity to practice taking them.