New Bucks test format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: New Bucks test format

Post by Sally-Anne »

The 21 types are described here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... t-a-glance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were standard question types that GL used across the two tests in Bucks until 5 years ago.

The difficulty was that many of the types were easily taught by "rote learning", and tutored children therefore had a huge advantage.

I have heard a few words on the grapevine that suggest that there will be Codes in the new test, and also that the test will be designed for a "lower level of literacy", whatever that may mean. Apparently the intention is to decrease the perceived disadvantage to ESOL children.

I remain to be persuaded that it will be effective in doing so ...
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Do you think this will affect the 12+ too?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Blue_Marigold wrote:Do you think this will affect the 12+ too?
One would think that with CEM's contract coming to an end, that the schools will either use their own 12+ testing (as a few already do) or the new contract with GL will include a late transfer package, which I suspect is more likely. The schools have got plenty of time to organise that since the first late transfer pupils won't sit the 12+ until winter 2018-19. I think it's just a question of keeping an eye on the BCC and TBGS websites for updates. And on here, of course!
Fash

Post by Fash »

thank you for the information on the new test format, I have to be honest I am confused, my son took the old format, CEM, I find CEM has clear curriculum and so home tutoring was straightforward. I am prepping my son now(for 2019 exam) and I am not sure the best approach or curriculum to use.

I will appreciate any lead on this : resources/curriculum etc.

Thank you
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Back to the forum after a break, ready to start prep for next child.

Urgh. Bit disappointed to see Maths is only 25% of the mark.

Am I the only one that thinks that seems low? I guess some will win and some will lose with the change, but personally, as a household much stronger on the maths front than English, we are definitely in the 'lose' category on this one!

As for 25% NVR, much though I would like to think this would make it fairer for all (as NVR is supposed to be intuitive rather than learned), I anticipate tutored bods will fair better having been exposed to the (potential) question styles...and bods from environments where they are unlikely to be exposed at all to any NVR styles prior to the exam, will not fair well at all. As the NVR has more weight now than before...it will just make the divide greater... n'est pas?

Happy New Year! #sarcasm ***Wishes she hadn't logged on and reaches for glass of wine at thought of work ahead!*** :lol:
new to all this

Post by new to all this »

Hello to everyone and best of luck
l'm hugely confused as to which resources to use to DlY tutor my son for Bucks new 11 plus. l successfully home tutored my daughter back when it was 21Qs (6 years ago) and want to DlY this time too but, am totally unsure what to do this time around. Can anyone advise me as to which books to buy/ resources to download for the new style test?
osibobo

Post by osibobo »

Hello All I am also home tutoring can anyone please help with materials to use.

Thank you
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Hi

With lack of all information I guess we can assume that Bucks exam will be same format like Kent

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GL Assessment has own good publication - Please use it for preparations example
https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/product ... s/#English" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for Maths preparation

I would suggest to use AE Publication Maths Workbook 1-5 for technique and some practise on that topics.
Please note that subject covered in this books are big and sometimes it can be confusing , so identify sections which relevant as per Year 5 Curriculum and focus on that section/topics only.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-of-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for other topics
I normally found following publications are good and you can order books from them
1) First Past the Post series
2) CGP
3) Bond Publication - I usually found more tough.

I also found this document - it has more example

http://www.immanuelcollege.co.uk/MainFo ... erials.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

neo1232 wrote:With lack of all information I guess we can assume that Bucks exam will be same format like Kent
Can we? Guessing to assume is an interesting combination. It might be a dangerous assumption.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A headteacher I knew said "Never assume - it makes an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'."
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now