Allocations 2018: Sally-Anne's crystal ball thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Re: Allocations 2018: Sally-Anne's crystal ball thread

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks Neo. I’m in Berks and not sure whether the school will find out before we do.
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

neo1232 wrote:Yes 100% - they will send out information from today onwards - I am talking about Bucks schools this may not apply to out of catchment schools
BlueBerry wrote:I'm sure that I've read on this forum that the schools are given our allocation results one week before we find out... does anyone know whether this is definitely the case?
We have Parents evening on Tuesday. After hearing this its going to be extremely frustrating! :shock: :x
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Well I am sure, School will have strict instructions to not discuss it and I do not think class teacher will have that information - only Head Teacher.

I personally do not see any value/advantage with so called National Offer day , I feel that they should allow each LEA to publish it when ever they are ready , they can put one cut-off date like 1st Feb etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

neo - they have to co-ordinate so everyone gets one offer. The LAs exchange info several times during the process.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Guest55 - I am aware of that that is why I have put 1st Feb.

My point is that , once process is already completed at Bucks so they should be allow to release it whenever they feel ok.

We should have Earliest date and Latest Date ....
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:neo - they have to co-ordinate so everyone gets one offer. The LAs exchange info several times during the process.
Way back when we were applying for primary schools, before coordinated primary admissions, we applied for Schools in Reading and another school just over the border in Wokingham (which is actually our closest school). I had to apply separately to Reading and Wokingham.

I found out which Reading school we had been allocated, and had to accept the place, before we actually found out if DD had a place at the Wokingham school or not. Since that School was nearest, it was our preferred choice, but despite living very close, (we can see the school from our house) we aren’t in catchment so it wasn’t a done deal we would get a place.

Result. After accepting new the Reading primary school place, we then found out we had got a place at the Wokingham primary school place we wanted, so we actually had two primary school places at the same time. Meaning that we were effectively holding a primary place that rightfully belonged to someone else. I then had to contact Reading BC to then turn down the place so it could be offered to someone else, who quite possibly had had several weeks waiting for the place, when they should have been allocated it straight away. With the national allocation day system now in place, no one would get allocated more than one place and this wouldn’t happen.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

neo1232 wrote:Guest55 - I am aware of that that is why I have put 1st Feb.

My point is that , once process is already completed at Bucks so they should be allow to release it whenever they feel ok.

We should have Earliest date and Latest Date ....
They can't 'finish' until all the other LAs have ... I think the final data exchange was a few days ago. Just think how many LAs surround Bucks let alone tourists from Upper Mongolia.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Guest55 wrote: They can't 'finish' until all the other LAs have ... I think the final data exchange was a few days ago. Just think how many LAs surround Bucks let alone tourists from Upper Mongolia.
Now how did I know that you will say that? :lol: :lol:
nazishadnan

Post by nazishadnan »

The distance for beaconsfield high school shows a lot of change? Is that the correct no?
Sally-Anne wrote:The preference numbers for all schools were published yesterday, and I have mulled over them together with my crystal ball. This is the full chart:
Pref stats for Secondary Schools - 18 Jan 2018.pdf
For those of you looking at Upper Schools, you can see the preferences vs. PAN from the full chart. If you have questions about previous years, fire away - I have the data for several past years, but I simply haven't collated it for the Uppers.

For the Grammars, my crystal ball can be viewed here:
Post-qualification preferences and Allocation Distances 2014 - 2018 v.1.xlsx
There isn't a great deal of change on last year, so the distances I am predicting are fairly similar. The pressure, once again, is in Chiltern. Although both the Challoners' have increased numbers of first preferences, and CGS somewhat fewer, CGS will take up the slack from the other two, so I predict that the distance for it will not extend beyond the M25.

The dark horse this year is SHF, with a big leap in preferences. However, it is very hard to predict an exact distance because it will all depend on where the children actually live within the many acres of empty green fields in the surrounding area, so I've plumped for 14 miles. Bucks residents will certainly have no issue with gaining places.

As ever, please don't take this as gospel because there are so many other variables that we don't have information about, but it does provide actual past statistics, and you can draw your own conclusions from those.

Enjoy!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

neo1232 wrote:Well I am sure, School will have strict instructions to not discuss it and I do not think class teacher will have that information - only Head Teacher.

I personally do not see any value/advantage with so called National Offer day , I feel that they should allow each LEA to publish it when ever they are ready , they can put one cut-off date like 1st Feb etc.
All the local authorities will be ready at the same time, as the process is coordinated between all of them.

There's no reason, I suppose, why some can't have 28 Feb and others 2 March, but surely it makes more sense for everyone to have the same day - that way there isn't confusion for people living near borders (which is almost everyone in London, for example).

I don't think 1 February would work, though, as the data wouldn't be ready by then.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now