DIY Bucks Transfer Test 2019 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: DIY Bucks Transfer Test 2019 Entry

Post by anotherdad »

TheHurdle wrote:Some people are saying there is algebra though Head?

Apparently its not black and white on what Maths might be in the test...

In the past its this very issue that has been complained about because obviously if child has not been taught how to do something in class - without extra tutoring how can they pass the test. My husband has now explained algebra to dd - only took a few moments, and he can work through maths side of things with her.
Who is saying that? Remember that there is an awful lot of rumour and speculation about the Bucks test, including a lot of myths and falsehoods.

I'm not sure that explaining algebra in a few moments is going to be particularly helpful. You risk confusing your daughter if you jump around covering content on the basis of what you are hearing on the grapevine.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I understand that the GS Headteachers [who have bought the test from GL] have confirmed the maths is only to the end of Year 5 for the reasons you state. The new curriculum is clear that no-one should be accelerated so it would be unfair to have Year 6 content.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Information given by The Bucks Grammar Schools.
Is the test age appropriate?

The Buckinghamshire STT is designed to be taken at the beginning of the Autumn term when children move in to Year 6. Literacy levels in the test are kept as low as possible to ensure that the test assesses reasoning ability rather than levels of literacy. Additionally maths or English content in the test does not go beyond what the national curriculum expects children to know and be able to do by the end of Year 5
https://www.thebucksgrammarschools.org/faqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Thanks Patricia, all one can do is hope!

Our school seems quite patchy on what they get through.
LookingforinfoMum

Post by LookingforinfoMum »

Thank you Patricia for your guidance on material to use to prepare for the Bucks exam. For the 2020 entry, please can I check if there are any additions to the list of recommended material that you updated in May 2018? Many thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

The Bucks Grammar Schools have made it clear via GL Assessment that the Verbal Reasoning section will not necessarily be the 21 types as they are always evolving. I would therefore master the 21 types via CGP then perhaps add some Bond just to get a feel for some different types. I tell my children:
Do not worry if something comes up, you have never seen before, just read the question carefully and have a go, you may find it easier than you think.
Patricia
shaz82

Post by shaz82 »

Hi, I have tried the links in Patricias 1st post for cgp books, but they do not seem to work. Have the books changed?

Thank you :)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Thank you.

CGP have recently changed their website design.

I have now corrected all the links

Patricia
shaz82

Post by shaz82 »

Thank you :D
Mammabear33

Post by Mammabear33 »

Are you now able to tell us how many questions might be in each section of the new test? This was a questions asked before the first exams, which I imagine we may now know the answer too (and is important when working out timings for practice). Any help greatly appreciated!!