Selection Review Stats - 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jennybond007

Selection Review Stats - 2018

Post by jennybond007 »

Hi - I'm sure one of the moderators knows the answer to this question. I saw a table somewhere where it should for each score under 121, how many reviews there were and how many were successful for 2017 entry. When does that usually come out please? Also, they have now uploaded the 'Transfer Test Analysis' but under, 'Post Review Qualifiers' it's N/A. I'm hearing lots of rumours about hundreds more SR this year and so am quite interested in the stats.

Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Selection Review Stats - 2018

Post by hermanmunster »

Is this it? https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 45#p626539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry - am at work so can't open the file!
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

Thanks, yes that's it although 2017 is floating around somewhere. But it's 2018 I'm curious about and when that gets released.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

jennybond007 wrote:I saw a table somewhere where it should for each score under 121, how many reviews there were and how many were successful for 2017 entry. When does that usually come out please?
The first sight I got of that table last year was in late July.
I'm hearing lots of rumours about hundreds more SR this year and so am quite interested in the stats.
There were 1000 - 1100 Reviews this year - I don't know the exact number yet. In previous years the number has been around 750 on average.
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

Must have been a bumper birth year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it was the number of scores near 121.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

jennybond007 wrote:Must have been a bumper birth year.
I think it’s probably more to do with the increasing popularity of the Bucks test, for several reasons, and the increasing desire of Bucks parents to attain a grammar school place, perhaps as much to avoid what are some pretty patchy upper schools as it is to get into a grammar school.

The Bucks test has become attractive as a mock for other areas, and those pre-selected children tend to perform well, skew the qualification statistics and have no intention of taking a place even though deemed qualified. They displace more local children who, without those mock-sitters, might have qualified.

It’s also become attractive to “tourists”, parents who are prepared to move around the country to get a grammar school place. Have a look at old threads on here and you will find that many of them are misinformed, don’t meet the likely catchment or allocation distances but sit the test anyway with no possibility of securing a place. As with the mock-sitters, they can distort the statistics and displace more local children.

The effect of all of this is that there seem to be increasing numbers of local children expected to qualify and suited for grammar school who don’t qualify and whose parents then have to enter the review process, which can be a bit of a lottery and throw up the wrong results. It’s making a mockery of the process and whilst the schools have taken steps to try and reduce the effect of these factors, word and behaviour is spreading faster than they are dealing with it.

Edited to add: Cross-posted with Guest55 but the point is related. A lot of scores close to 121 will be the “displaced” children I mention. To give an example, there was a poster last October whose child scored 120.98, perhaps the closest to qualifying we heard of. There is no doubt that that child’s qualifying place was taken by a tourist or mock-sitter so their parent would have to enter the review or appeal process to try and secure a qualification they arguably should have achieved under a better process.
jennybond007

Post by jennybond007 »

Very interesting reading. Did I read a post (perhaps by you) that said that this was the last year of SR??
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Definitely not from me and I don't recall that from anywhere else, either.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

jennybond007 wrote:Very interesting reading. Did I read a post (perhaps by you) that said that this was the last year of SR??
Not sure what you are referring to by that last comment, as SRPs are continuing into the future.

Otherwise I have to say that "anotherdad" has absolutely nailed the problem, yet again and for the umpteenth time.

His post should be required reading for every one of the Bucks GS Heads. The issue can be addressed, as we have pointed out repeatedly over several years, but nothing has changed.

I have never believed that the Heads have an agenda to collect "the brightest and best", regardless of location, as has been suggested by some. I do however believe that they are failing Bucks-resident children by their continued inertia.

<Rant over. As you were>

(x-post with anotherdad)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now