M/head > Becky High? Anyone got in? How to travel etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TheHurdle

M/head > Becky High? Anyone got in? How to travel etc

Post by TheHurdle »

I totally new to this forum, not sure how to post or whether anyone will reply, I have been googling to see if anyone from Maidenhead ever gets in and I can only ever seem to get really old info from here eg 2011 .....Something about a train to Bourne End then a bus? Just wondering if anyone gets in from Mhead, is it good pleasant school and so on.

Thank you,.
Guest55

Re: M/head > Becky High? Anyone got in? How to travel etc

Post by Guest55 »

Have you checked the allocation distances in recent years? See the thread in Bucks section.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Thanks it looks like we are just under 7 miles and they have taken up to 11 and over past few years.

I was hoping some Maidenhead people may give me some ideas on the school and transport.

Newlands is my other default option.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Beaconsfield is a pain to get to on public transport (or car) from Maidenhead in the mornings, and the 11 miles of last year was a complete one-off: for the 5 years prior to that it was a far shorter distance. See the old Bucks allocation tables for details.
More to the point, do you intend to be a parent-taxi all hours to cover after school dance rehearsals, sports clubs, music events? A closer/easier school would be far more practical.

Have you considered Burnham Grammar which is far closer (single stop down train line, or bus) and has an allocation distance of 7 miles? It is mixed rather than single-sex but takes quite a lot of children from Maidenhead.
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

My DD is there, now in 6th form. You can ask me anything if you want. We have been very happy with this school. There are various parent organised buses from Burnham or Bourne End direction so you may be able to access one of those. 7 miles is not a great distance for this school but agree not an easy journey at morning rush.
nazishadnan

Post by nazishadnan »

We live in Maidenhead and have been offered a place at beaconsfield.

Would like to know the commuting options available.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

nazishadnan wrote:We live in Maidenhead and have been offered a place at beaconsfield.

It might have been a good idea to look into this before applying. It isn't a journey I would want to do for 7 years, with good schools in Maidenhead, but it appears that people do it, as described above.
scary mum
11plusparents

Post by 11plusparents »

nazishadnan wrote:We live in Maidenhead and have been offered a place at beaconsfield.

Please contact the school reception. There may be a coach service available from Maidenhead.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Unless you can find a private coach service or are going to drive your daughter there every day, your options are taxi (probably an hour or so each way) or public transport, roughly 90 minutes each way.

As scary mum points out, it’s a bit late to be considering this now. Haven’t you been through the review process to secure a place? Did you not consider the practicality of the journey whilst going through all of that?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Looking at Apple maps/google maps your best option is going to be driving yourself/taxi/hope there’s a a School bus of some form (either organised ofcially or by other parents).

Public transport is going to take an age and seems to involve train and bus, plus a walk.

On the forum we would always recommend that you look at transport before deciding which schools to place on your CAF. Ideally before you decide what exam to put your DC through so they don’t sit exams unnecessarily.

TheHurdle (the OP of this thread) has a DD in year 5 and is researching travel options and schools now, rather than later. I would recommend that all parents follow that lead and do the same.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now