M/head > Becky High? Anyone got in? How to travel etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jules7

Re: M/head > Becky High? Anyone got in? How to travel etc

Post by Jules7 »

I haven't been on this forum for ages as my youngest is in Y9 but I was contacted by someone on this thread because I have direct experience of both my DDs travelling to Becky High by bus.

We live in the Taplow area so just the other side of the river to Maidenhead. From Burnham/Taplow the journey to Becky High is very easy and only takes about 20 mins as the bus goes via Cliveden thus avoiding congested roads. It is a private service run by Ashwood Travel (01753 899222). I don't know about buses from Maidenhead except Finlan Travel who operate a service from Boulters Lock area. I would contact the school for more info if neither of these suit as it depends on where you live in Maidenhead.

My oldest DD has now left Becky High but my youngest is still there in Y9 and is involved in plenty of extra curricular activities to do with music and drama. There are lots of clubs and my DD attends choir and Greek club during lunchtimes and an after drama rehearsal once a week when rehearsing for the school play. There are many sport related options as well, it's just that my DDs are not that sporty. We get round transport from after school activities by lift shares with other parents and it all seems to work out in the end :D
nazishadnan

Post by nazishadnan »

Thankyou Jules... Those are certainly comforting words and much greatful for the information that you have shared :) I shall keep in touch :)
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

Hi all - having just read all this thread I would like to say that the view of some of the posters on here is not representative of the parents at BHS. Many of us (although not me) do not live in catchment but chose this school for our daughters on its merits. We all know there are other good schools around but we and our daughters felt this was the most suitable. The OP says the distance is 7 miles, one of our catchment schools was 7 miles from us and is an impossible journey by public transport. There are many girls at BHS that travel further than this and still manage to take a full part in school life, mostly by lift sharing etc. I think its quite unnecessary to jump on the OP with views on whether the school they are considering is too far when they are just looking for advice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not just the distance - it's the logistics of the journey.

I have seen how a school is affected by long commutes impacting on students and the school itself. Children unwilling to be involved in events, teams, plays, music etc etc and how that damages the very things they supposedly valued in the school. Parents 'ranting' about having to pick up children when they are ill or have detentions - think of it from the school's side. It's a partnership which parents need to value after allocation day.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

justkeepmoving wrote:The OP says the distance is 7 miles, one of our catchment schools was 7 miles from us and is an impossible journey by public transport.
With this comment in mind, do you really think it unfair that others question the practicalities of the journey OP is considering for their DC?
justkeepmoving wrote:There are many girls at BHS that travel further than this and still manage to take a full part in school life, mostly by lift sharing etc.
Are you suggesting that the OP should not bother considering potential travel issues as lift sharing will be guaranteed for the next 5-7 years?
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

I would have thought that BHS has a greater number of non-catchment pupils than some other schools - but still has many extra-curricular clubs & teams and no shortage of girls willing to take part in them. Most parents here are willing to go the extra mile to make sure their daughters make full use of all that the school offers
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I do know teachers there and they do struggle to get enough participants and specifically the ones they want.
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

I also do find it frustrating that the other poster has to knock down other grammars with false facts. For the record BHS is not leaps and bounds ahead of BGS and real research would show that all grammars in Bucks are fantastic schools. In fact a few years ago BGS was ahead of St Bernards and Upton in the tables so please do not slate it like it is substandard.

A great quote all parents could do with being reminded of is that 'grammar school is an opportunity, not a prize'. I'm increasingly frustrated by some of the attitudes of some on here that are at times giving the impression that their dreams come ahead of what's really important for their child. Sorry if a little controversial but just my personal view. A child shouldn't need to travel long commutes and receive years of tuition to do well. They will burn out and resent their childhood. Good teachers and pastoral care is what children need. That was where my school research went as I myself went to two great local grammars where I was terribly failed as a child pastorally. That's all I really wanted to say.
mad?

Post by mad? »

KatharineB wrote:A great quote all parents could do with being reminded of is that 'grammar school is an opportunity, not a prize'. I'm increasingly frustrated by some of the attitudes of some on here that are at times giving the impression that their dreams come ahead of what's really important for their child..
I couldn't agree more.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KatherineB - I totally agree that Burnham Grammar is a great school. As I said just google Beaconsfield High; it has had some interesting 'issues'.

I also agree with your other points :D