Bucks transfer test- newbie question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
derenstar

Bucks transfer test- newbie question

Post by derenstar »

Hello,
First time poster, long time lurker! My daughter is 10 and we’re currently prepping her for the transfer test this year in Bucks. We are on the western tip of MK, close to Whaddon and my daughter attends a local primary, so hoping if she passes we might be able to get her a place at the Royal Latin (though I know this isn’t guaranteed!). This is our first time going through this process so I have a couple of possibly daft questions which I’ve not been able to find the answer to yet. Can other MK parents with kids at Bucks grammars help please me please?

1. Test date for 2018 is Thursday 13 September, this is a school day which suggests I will need to take my daughter out school depending on the time the test actually takes place. In previous years, have the tests taken place during or after school time in Bucks? If during school time, what do peo0le do with regards to pulling their children out of school?

2. If she passes, how do I actually go about applying for a grammar school place for her? Will I have to make a separate application to Bucks for her grammar place as well as an application with MK for one of the comprehensives near us; or do I/can I use one application form but select schools both in MK the grammars in Bucks?

Thank you all in advance!
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks transfer test- newbie question

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome!

The tests are conducted during the school day. Last year, 571 MK children (from a cohort of 3,500) took the Bucks test, so your DD certainly won't be alone in missing some schooling that day. Some Heads in other areas don't approve of the 11+, so you just need to test the water by asking the question. Given that you are west of MK, the Head will have seen it all before and I suspect it will be an authorised absence.

You fill out a single form - the CAF (Common Application Form), naming RLS and any other preferences on it, and submit that to MK. They then share your preference for RLS with Bucks CC.
derenstar

Post by derenstar »

Thank you ever so much! That’s really helpful. I know of several children who have sat the 11+ from my DDs school but I’m not close to the parents to ask (life of a working mum, lol!) so I’m sure it won’t be problem to get the time off for her.

Thanks also for the info re: the application process, that makes a lot of sense!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have a look here :) : https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/school ... er-2018-19

Your local authority, as with every other one in the country, publishes details of the school admissions process every year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now