Waiting list movement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aethel

Re: Waiting list movement

Post by Aethel »

Congratulation Sparklies, such a huge relief for you!

KatharinB, take heart, BGS is a much more sensible option journey wise. You’ve made the roght decision and it will be fine!

My DD1 (who as you know is at BGS) had a friend who was offered BHS from Langley due to the slightly widened offering distances last year. Her parents took the place purely because of the Ofsted Outstanding rating and hype from other parents they knew (had not even visited it). She spends two hours each day on a school bus which she doesn’t really enjoy, and found the school girls to be very priveleged, some of them quite snooty to hear she was not living in as “nice” an area and didn’t have high-professional parents. She can’t stay late after school for activities due to the school bus. She has settled in okay now, but still is not super enthusiastic; it is definitely not a school for the underconfident girl. There are also zero public transport options, it’s school bus or rive, and the traffic can be awful in the mornings. Whereas BGS is 16-25 mins depending on time Of day and if you use the m4 or the back roads.
vivekms

Post by vivekms »

Aethel wrote:Congratulation Sparklies, such a huge relief for you!

KatharinB, take heart, BGS is a much more sensible option journey wise. You’ve made the roght decision and it will be fine!

My DD1 (who as you know is at BGS) had a friend who was offered BHS from Langley due to the slightly widened offering distances last year. Her parents took the place purely because of the Ofsted Outstanding rating and hype from other parents they knew (had not even visited it). She spends two hours each day on a school bus which she doesn’t really enjoy, and found the school girls to be very priveleged, some of them quite snooty to hear she was not living in as “nice” an area and didn’t have high-professional parents. She can’t stay late after school for activities due to the school bus. She has settled in okay now, but still is not super enthusiastic; it is definitely not a school for the underconfident girl. There are also zero public transport options, it’s school bus or rive, and the traffic can be awful in the mornings. Whereas BGS is 16-25 mins depending on time Of day and if you use the m4 or the back roads.
Exactly my thoughts, it's not worth spending so much time commuting for anyone, let alone a child.
WillowFae

Post by WillowFae »

vivekms wrote:
I won't have the luck of sibling rule, the other one is a boy, but what the heck, the cycle starts again in 4 years!
Which school? I have a son at AGS and my daughter has got into AHS for September on the sibling rule. They go: looked after girls, girls with sisters at AHS, and then girls with brothers at AGS.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

WillowFae wrote:
vivekms wrote:
I won't have the luck of sibling rule, the other one is a boy, but what the heck, the cycle starts again in 4 years!
Which school? I have a son at AGS and my daughter has got into AHS for September on the sibling rule. They go: looked after girls, girls with sisters at AHS, and then girls with brothers at AGS.
Wycombe High School. They don't share sibling rules with the neighbouring boys' grammar school the way AHS and AGS do.
WillowFae

Post by WillowFae »

anotherdad wrote:
WillowFae wrote:
vivekms wrote:
Wycombe High School. They don't share sibling rules with the neighbouring boys' grammar school the way AHS and AGS do.
Oh that sucks :(
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

I found out today that we didn't get the medical and social rule. Didn't think we would, but had to try it anyway. The reason given was the one you'd expect about "any mainstream school could meet her needs" even though I made pretty clear in my evidence etc that only CGS could due to it being the only school with clubs for her ASD interests (which would help massively with her social issues) and the professional medical advice that she stay with her best friend, and a whole lot of other stuff too. But there you go. Just goes to show how tough it is to pass those panels I guess!

It's all irrelevant now though :D And I learned a lot more about her new school to help her than I would have if I hadn't tried that route!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now