Bucks school allocations: Second round 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Bucks school allocations: Second round 2018

Post by anotherdad »

Crikey. In which case, all you can do is keep an eye on the school's admissions policy because you're two iterations too early. It's possible it might change to a sibling definition that doesn't work for you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

a_mummy wrote:My son would sit the test in September 2020 as he is currently in Year 4.
Thank you. You will have to wait for the draft admissions policy for 2020 to be published and then agreed by the Governors. The draft should be published soon, and the final version should be agreed by 31st January. (Don't hold your breath though - I'm afraid some of the schools are equally sloppy with their adherence to that deadline.)

Meanwhile, have you looked at the recent allocation distances for SHF? This year they allocated places to beyond 12 miles away, so if you live closer than that, there is every likelihood that the sibling rule won't come into play at all - he would simply get a place under the distance rules.
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

Sally-Anne wrote:
a_mummy wrote:My son would sit the test in September 2020 as he is currently in Year 4.
Thank you. You will have to wait for the draft admissions policy for 2020 to be published and then agreed by the Governors. The draft should be published soon, and the final version should be agreed by 31st January. (Don't hold your breath though - I'm afraid some of the schools are equally sloppy with their adherence to that deadline.)

Meanwhile, have you looked at the recent allocation distances for SHF? This year they allocated places to beyond 12 miles away, so if you live closer than that, there is every likelihood that the sibling rule won't come into play at all - he would simply get a place under the distance rules.
Yes, i have had a look at the distance criteria...we are 15.7 miles away from the school so probably wouldn't have a chance under that criteria :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think (hope!) that the sibling policy won't change, because all the Bucks grammars have finally fallen into line with each other on the Y7 - Y12 rule. (Sir William Borlase was the last one to change, only this year.)
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

Sally-Anne wrote:I think (hope!) that the sibling policy won't change, because all the Bucks grammars have finally fallen into line with each other on the Y7 - Y12 rule. (Sir William Borlase was the last one to change, only this year.)
My only hope is the sibling policy...assuming it stays as Y7 -Y12. I have emailed the Head Teacher again to get clarification on the sibling definition so will let you know if i get a response although i haven't had a response to the email i sent back in May!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Have you considered moving nearer to the school? You certainly have the time window to manage it if it's financially and logistically feasible, and it would give your older child and easier commute for his last few years there.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would e-mail again as the Head has changed - copy in the office. Actually you should probably contact the Governors because they decide the policy.
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

Sally-Anne wrote:
a_mummy wrote:Thank you for getting back to me. I rang the school and they said they are not sure and to speak to Bucks CC.
Not good enough, C-, must try harder.

As an Academy, the school sets its own Admissions Policy, and the responsibility for it lies squarely on their shoulders. Bucks CC merely applies the admission rules on their behalf.

I haven't got time at the moment to dig around, but I suspect I know where the text for the definitions came from, and that may be what has caused the uncertainty.

You need to email the school back and say that the Admissions Policy is determined by the Governing body, not BCC, and it is from the Governing Body (or their representative) that clarification should be forthcoming.

(I've cross-posted with anotherdad, but it would be helpful if you could tell us if your son took the test this year or is taking it next year. If it is next year, the draft admissions policy for 2020 has yet to be published and consulted upon.)
I got an email response from the Chair of Governors stating that the sibling rule for Y7 - Y12 is correct in the 2019 Admissions policy but the definition of a sibling at the end of the policy is incorrect and they will look to change it as soon as possible. They said they took the definition from Bucks County Council statements which do not appear to have been updated from a previous policy.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

That is just laziness. They made the choice to become an academy and have been one for what, seven years now? Blaming BCC because BCC haven't updated their definition is laughable.
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

anotherdad wrote:That is just laziness. They made the choice to become an academy and have been one for what, seven years now? Blaming BCC because BCC haven't updated their definition is laughable.
That is exactly what I thought!