Dr Challoner Grammar Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Dr Challoner Grammar Appeal

Post by Amber »

Grammars obviously differ from comprehensives as far as the level / depth of material.
This misapprehension is at the root of many a problem which arises on this forum and accounts for some of the more ridiculous proposed commutes/relocations discussed (not you OP!).

It is not true. End of.
Dobromiracle

Post by Dobromiracle »

anotherdad wrote:
Dobromiracle wrote:Yes, and this is my issue I guess. How could one possibly know what is so unique about a particular school, something that it does that other schools don't? And is there really such a thing? At the end of the day they all have to follow similar curriculum. Grammars obviously differ from comprehensives as far as the level / depth of material, Do they? Where have you heard that? but other than that they all comply with certain regulations. Am I wrong?

We have been to the open evening of all Bucks grammars suitable for boys but I don't think you can get more than a 'feeling' about the school and what it offers through such visits. My son loved DCG and was mesmerised by its IT deparments and the coding the students were engaged in at the time, but certainly, other schools will also have similar provision and activities!
If there isn't a burning reason why you want your son to attend DCGS then why are you considering appealing? If you yourself don't consider it to offer anything exceptionally suited to your son, how would you convince a panel?

I'm being deliberately critical to make you think about why you're appealing. You have suggested a potential reason in your last paragraph. If they do offer something in IT that other schools don't and you have evidence of your son's strong interest or aptitude in IT, it's a place to start.
I do appreciate you playing thr e devil's advocate! :-)

Well, I want him to attend a grammar school for a start, he passed the test, so he appears to be a suitable candidate and DCG is the nearest such school to us. I also know it has a reputation of offering a very good level of education so I would like him to go there. This is quite logical, right? However, as we live outside of catchment area we have not been offered a place and our only chance seems to be clinging to a non-existent (perhpas, I might be wrong, this is why I am here asking) unique feature of this particular school that is supposed to be matching my son's unique requirments. Not sure how to proceed to be honest...
Dobromiracle

Post by Dobromiracle »

Amber wrote:
Grammars obviously differ from comprehensives as far as the level / depth of material.
This misapprehension is at the root of many a problem which arises on this forum and accounts for some of the more ridiculous proposed commutes/relocations discussed (not you OP!).

It is not true. End of.
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean... are you saying grammars do not teach material at a higher level then?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Dobromiracle wrote:
Amber wrote:

It is not true. End of.
Sorry, not quite sure what you mean... are you saying grammars do not teach material at a higher level then?
I am. They don’t.
Dobromiracle

Post by Dobromiracle »

Amber, so what is their purpose then? I myself have attended an equivalent of a grammar school overseas and this is what it was all about. Also, my daughter goes to DCH and I note the same trend. I might of course be wrong and appreciate your input.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well I won’t bore you here with it all. I am a teacher by the way and have many years’ experience in all sectors of education, plus a masters in education and am writing a doctorate too- in case you’re wondering what my credentials are.

I will go for the short answer. Do you really believe that children in the 90% of the country which doesn’t have grammar schools are all taught at a lower level from the tiny numbers who get to access a grammar school in a few counties? And do you think that special, different qualifications are sat in those few schools? No. One national curriculum, one standardised set of exams, for all children, whichever school. Bright children go to other schools too, all over the country. They have the same right to high level teaching and they get it.

The long answer - what are they for? The middle classes! But that is only the bottom line of that long answer.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Dobromiracle wrote:Amber, so what is their purpose then? I myself have attended an equivalent of a grammar school overseas and this is what it was all about. Also, my daughter goes to DCH and I note the same trend. I might of course be wrong and appreciate your input.
I'm interested in the trend you have noted from your daughter's education. How have you formed that view? What are you comparing it to?

Amber is correct. I don't have her extensive knowledge or experience of education but I know enough to know that grammar schools do not teach material at a higher level than other schools. Please don't think that in the very likely event that your son doesn't attend DCGS that he will receive some sort of lesser education. He won't and he will attain the results his ability and effort deserve.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Amber wrote:Do you really believe that children in the 90% of the country which doesn’t have grammar schools are all taught at a lower level from the tiny numbers who get to access a grammar school in a few counties? And do you think that special, different qualifications are sat in those few schools? No. One national curriculum, one standardised set of exams, for all children, whichever school. Bright children go to other schools too, all over the country. They have the same right to high level teaching and they get it.
anotherdad wrote:Amber is correct. I don't have her extensive knowledge or experience of education but I know enough to know that grammar schools do not teach material at a higher level than other schools. Please don't think that in the very likely event that your son doesn't attend DCGS that he will receive some sort of lesser education. He won't and he will attain the results his ability and effort deserve.
Yes, yes, yes! What they both said.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Dobromiracle wrote:Well, I want him to attend a grammar school for a start, he passed the test, so he appears to be a suitable candidate and DCG is the nearest such school to us. I also know it has a reputation of offering a very good level of education so I would like him to go there. This is quite logical, right? However, as we live outside of catchment area we have not been offered a place and our only chance seems to be clinging to a non-existent (perhpas, I might be wrong, this is why I am here asking) unique feature of this particular school that is supposed to be matching my son's unique requirments. Not sure how to proceed to be honest...
I hope you can see from the other responses that grammar schools aren't intrinsically better than your other option just because they have the word 'grammar' in their name, but if you still want to appeal for a place at DCGS you are going to have to find those unique features to match your son's requirements. It is the only way you can attain a place, although your chances are very, very slim. Evidence of suitability by qualifying in the test and DCGS having good average academic results isn't enough. If you really can't think of anything they offer that is unique, it comes back to why you want a place there. You can see now that grammar school status itself isn't a unique feature, so what is it that makes it the most suitable school for your son?