Clubs at JHGS & Voluntary Contribution

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Re: Clubs at JHGS & Voluntary Contribution

Post by BlueBerry »

I know, I've seen those posts too :(
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I have experience of 2 GS in Aylesbury with a child at each and they are poles apart in terms of asking for contributions.

AGS ask for money at every single parents meeting plus send out glossy brochures for development funds. SHFGS hardly ever asks for much. Nothing much between them in terms of results, facilities better at AGS but SHF catching up.

But my pet hate is people saying this is ok because a lot of parents would have paid private school fees if their child had not got a GS place. Such a sweeping generalization and completely untrue!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

SHFGS actually does better than AGS if you look at the progress measures.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:But my pet hate is people saying this is ok because a lot of parents would have paid private school fees if their child had not got a GS place. Such a sweeping generalization and completely untrue!
It may well have been an (admittedly slightly tongue in cheek) sweeping generalisation, but it is absolutely NOT completely untrue, sadly.....! Whilst you may not be in that position, (and we weren’t) there are many, many parents who have openly told us that they have “saved” fees with their GS place, or are having another skiing holiday with the money they are now not paying on fees.

More to the point, people fight tooth and nail to get their children into GS, often because of the extras on offer - often paying huge amounts to tutors to ensure their child gets in - yet when they are asked to pay a relatively small proportion of that to ensure these extras continue for their child and children coming after, are aghast at being asked. That is one of my pet hates!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If people can't afford to give money then give time helping at events - that costs nothing and is much valued.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:I have experience of 2 GS in Aylesbury with a child at each and they are poles apart in terms of asking for contributions.

AGS ask for money at every single parents meeting plus send out glossy brochures for development funds. SHFGS hardly ever asks for much. Nothing much between them in terms of results, facilities better at AGS but SHF catching up.

But my pet hate is people saying this is ok because a lot of parents would have paid private school fees if their child had not got a GS place. Such a sweeping generalization and completely untrue!
Yes, this is part of the creep towards some schools operating like commercial businesses, with "Business Development Managers", "Alumni Engagement Officers" and the perceived need for professional marketing materials. AGS are all over LinkedIn and I get plenty of communications from them inviting me to Old Aylesburian sporting dinners and the like. It clearly works because they have been able to raise significant funds for squash facilities and science labs in recent years but for me it sits rather awkwardly alongside the core purpose of the school and into the territory of slick presentation being disproportionately important.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:SHFGS actually does better than AGS if you look at the progress measures.
Yes, but AGS is shinier.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That’s the sunlight bouncing off the glossy brochure.....!! :lol:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote: But my pet hate is people saying this is ok because a lot of parents would have paid private school fees if their child had not got a GS place. Such a sweeping generalization and completely untrue!
Yes, I would definitely agree with that. If DS didn't get a GS place, then he would have gone to the local comp as sadly we just can't afford to the independent schooling fees.
CSB

Post by CSB »

anotherdad wrote:£50 a month? Wow. I can't disagree with anything you've said, CSB, but I am concerned with where this is heading.
I should add that the school made it clear that this was a suggested contribution, and you could change the form to any amount you felt you could afford, or not contribute at all. They said 90% of parents contribute. The school has a good relationship with parents from what I've heard. Over half the places are reserved for local children - perhaps that helps increase parental involvement & interest.

Perhaps we're not like most GS parents, but we didn't invest in tutoring, and independent school wasn't an option. But £50/month in comparison to most commercially run out-of-school activities, or private music lessons for example, seems pretty good value for the range of clubs, drama and sports on offer at the school. We pay more than that per month for 2 hours' gymnastics a week for one of our kids!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now