Identifying the HARD parts of the test, for Bucks,and Plans

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Identifying the HARD parts of the test, for Bucks,and Pl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

TheHurdle wrote:
People also keep mentioning for DIYers a time table.
What sort of time table?
People also mention "times tables"....ie make sure your child is very secure in quick and accurate recollection of her maths times tables, as this will speed her answering maths questions, significantly.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
TheHurdle wrote:
People also keep mentioning for DIYers a time table.
What sort of time table?
People also mention "times tables"....ie make sure your child is very secure in quick and accurate recollection of her maths times tables, as this will speed her answering maths questions, significantly.

Luckily she is good at her tables, its the one maths related thing I have ever been able to help her with.

I meant - some parents seem to have a table of work to do for their children.

I am worried there is something I need to be doing but am not.

Another dad :lol: :lol:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

TheHurdle wrote:I meant - some parents seem to have a table of work to do for their children.
They do, and I'm sure it works for some but I have seen it backfire. Mum/Dad is super-organised and has a very good schedule for DC to work to and manage to stick to it, despite some occasional unwillingness. Then that micro-managing of school work and revision continues, sometimes all the way to GCSE and even A level. At what point does DC take responsibility for their own learning?

That's why I favour working with your child and agreeing a way of working that is also adaptable. It reduces the likelihood of resentment and hopefully makes the most of the times when DC is receptive and willing to learn or practice. No child is going to benefit from being put through NVR problems when they're tired or just moody, and neither is the parent's sanity.

Perhaps have your own table as a checklist to make sure you are covering and practicing the various elements but work together on the schedule.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I absolutely agree with anotherdad. We only did the work when DS was receptive and willing to do it. Otherwise it’ll become a battle of wills. When we started our 11+ journey I was really naive and expected DS to cover certain topics per week/ month. But this ended in tears and things improved so much when we applied the little and often approach. And to be honest, DS and I only started working in earnest during the summer holidays as he was too busy with his extra curricular activities during term time.

Edited for spelling errors.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Thanks it was more the what is on the time table really.

I couldn't force DD even if I had the inclination too which I don't. It sounds silly but the tutors or children who are coached I wonder what they are doing to fill the time...

some dc have hours of extra homework a week and I wonder what on! is dd missing out. anyway will just do old papers and look at maths, spatial reasoning - exam technique..and 11 + words.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

TheHurdle wrote:It sounds silly but the tutors or children who are coached I wonder what they are doing to fill the time...

some dc have hours of extra homework a week and I wonder what on!
Simple: Generating revenue.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

:lol: :lol:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

anotherdad wrote:
TheHurdle wrote:It sounds silly but the tutors or children who are coached I wonder what they are doing to fill the time...

some dc have hours of extra homework a week and I wonder what on!
Simple: Generating revenue.
That may be the case. But these are also the children that will pass the test!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BlueBerry wrote:That may be the case. But these are also the children that will pass the test!
That is not true - some tutored children will be over-stressed and others will have been taught the wrong stuff anyway.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Guest55 wrote:
BlueBerry wrote:That may be the case. But these are also the children that will pass the test!
That is not true - some tutored children will be over-stressed and others will have been taught the wrong stuff anyway.
I guess so. But from my limited experience of my friends and friends of friends etc, all of the children that were tutored have passed the test. Maybe they were one of the lucky ones?