Charitable donation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Charitable donation

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:I would be well cross if a school made me buy a google device. Apple all the way here but I still wouldn't want to be made to buy one.

Our school asks for voluntary contributions but it isn't hard sell. I am conflicted about what to do when my younger DS leaves the school next year. Do you stop?
In AHS's defence, I suppose they had to lock it down to one type of device. Can you imagine the poor IT department having to deal with a bring-your-own-device policy for 1200 children? It also stops the "top trumps" mentality where the type of device becomes a status symbol. My concern is the practicality of using them in some subjects such as maths and chemistry, where formulae feature heavily, and the main concern with Chromebooks being that if the school wifi goes down (or even just one class), they are pretty much useless.

With regard to donations after a child has left, I would have thought that most people would adopt the convention that they donate whilst their child is there and stop when they leave, the premise being that your own child will benefit from previous years' donations and your money will help those that follow your child. I wonder how many people simply forget about the standing order/direct debit and go on contributing anyway? I moved house years ago and despite me regularly returning mail for the previous occupants for two years, I still get mail for them and if it looks important I open it to send back to the sender. The previous occupants have been paying around £100 a year to insure the plumbing and drains in a house they no longer own...for six years.
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

I have no concerns about the use of chromebooks, tablets etc in school. I think technology is best used as a tool for education rather than for the many hours that some spend instagraming or playing fortnite etc :shock: fortunately Dd is not interested in either of these pastimes.
Anotherdad - my oldest Ds has just completed his Maths degree and an appropriate laptop was an absolute necessity so I think we have to just accept that this is the future.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

petit-pois wrote:Anotherdad - my oldest Ds has just completed his Maths degree and an appropriate laptop was an absolute necessity so I think we have to just accept that this is the future.
I'm sure you're right.

I think a laptop is essential for a student - my daughter has got through two in her secondary years and they have both been well-used - but I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of mandated use of them in the classroom. I'm glad that my daughter is "too old" to be in the new regime so she wasn't part of the guinea-pig cohort.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

petit-pois, uniform fitting already?!
I'm leaving that until the end of Year 6 :lol: Or am I being foolish in waiting until the end of July? :?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

"Uniform fitting" sounds very grand. In the summer before I started secondary school I was bought a blazer, shirts and trousers it was assumed I'd grow into. I looked like a partially deflated mannequin for two years.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

anotherdad wrote:"Uniform fitting" sounds very grand. In the summer before I started secondary school I was bought a blazer, shirts and trousers it was assumed I'd grow into. I looked like a partially deflated mannequin for two years.
You never cease to make me giggle :lol: :lol:
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

anotherdad wrote:"Uniform fitting" sounds very grand. In the summer before I started secondary school I was bought a blazer, shirts and trousers it was assumed I'd grow into. I looked like a partially deflated mannequin for two years.
Hilarious picture anotherdad :lol: :lol: at least they lasted you for a while though eh?
BlueBerry wrote:petit-pois, uniform fitting already?!
I'm leaving that until the end of Year 6 :lol: Or am I being foolish in waiting until the end of July? :?
No you're being very sensible Blueberry. I would have certainly left it as late as possible too given the chance, especially at the rate Dd seems to be growing at the moment! AHS have a specific uniform fitting day at the school this Saturday where it's necessary to book an appointment and I expect girls are measured and sent home with all the necessary (and some not so necessary I expect) uniform in the hope that it still fits in 3 months time. I'm particularly concerned about the skirts, which should be no longer or shorter than 5cm from the knee. I'm convinced Dd's legs have grown at least 5cm in the last 3 months already! :shock:
Floodlight

Post by Floodlight »

I can confirm that AHS does run specific fund raising projects, for example they recently ran a Sponsor an Element Campaign and Prize Draw to fund the refurbishment of the final science lab. I understand there will be an upcoming campaign to raise funds to refurbish the Tower Block. These are always well communicated without being too pushy - a delicate balance but you know exactly where your money is going.
However in these challenging financial times I don't think it is surprising that schools are looking at all means possible to raise funds including giving parents the chance to make regular donations. For SOME parents, a minority but definitely some, they actually prefer to make a small regular contribution. Maybe they are short on time, or have children at multiple schools, or are very shy and therefore can't help the school by volunteering their time....

I fall into the volunteer my time category, I like it, the school are appreciative and my girls like that I help at their school!

Petis Pois, I hope your daughter enjoys AHS as much as both of mine do. I truly believe that you get out what you put in whether you are a parent or a child in any school. It will be really exciting to get her uniform, it is a very efficiently run day and last year there were members of the AHSA (PTA) there to chat to serving refreshments, (it gets very hot!). If they are there again pop along and say Hi, they were very friendly.

On the other note about Chromebooks, my Year 8 daughter was involved in the pilot project last year and so we were given lots of information and demonstrations as to how they will be used. I believe each year group has had this as they roll out the scheme. The school went out of their way to emphasise that the introduction must be about enhancing education not merely "replacing the old ways" Collaboration, innovation and preparation for the modern world are the emphasis. There has also been significant updates to the Wifi etc. Interestingly there is only a single model available to purchase at AHS whereas SHF has multiple models available. In terms of the cost, it is worth bearing in mind that most students have 'phones that cost more than a Chromebook!
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

Floodlight wrote:I can confirm that AHS does run specific fund raising projects, for example they recently ran a Sponsor an Element Campaign and Prize Draw to fund the refurbishment of the final science lab. I understand there will be an upcoming campaign to raise funds to refurbish the Tower Block. These are always well communicated without being too pushy - a delicate balance but you know exactly where your money is going.
However in these challenging financial times I don't think it is surprising that schools are looking at all means possible to raise funds including giving parents the chance to make regular donations. For SOME parents, a minority but definitely some, they actually prefer to make a small regular contribution. Maybe they are short on time, or have children at multiple schools, or are very shy and therefore can't help the school by volunteering their time....

I fall into the volunteer my time category, I like it, the school are appreciative and my girls like that I help at their school!

Petis Pois, I hope your daughter enjoys AHS as much as both of mine do. I truly believe that you get out what you put in whether you are a parent or a child in any school. It will be really exciting to get her uniform, it is a very efficiently run day and last year there were members of the AHSA (PTA) there to chat to serving refreshments, (it gets very hot!). If they are there again pop along and say Hi, they were very friendly.

On the other note about Chromebooks, my Year 8 daughter was involved in the pilot project last year and so we were given lots of information and demonstrations as to how they will be used. I believe each year group has had this as they roll out the scheme. The school went out of their way to emphasise that the introduction must be about enhancing education not merely "replacing the old ways" Collaboration, innovation and preparation for the modern world are the emphasis. There has also been significant updates to the Wifi etc. Interestingly there is only a single model available to purchase at AHS whereas SHF has multiple models available. In terms of the cost, it is worth bearing in mind that most students have 'phones that cost more than a Chromebook!
That's very helpful regarding the fund raising projects, thankyou. Like you I think I will try to donate some of my time and help out when I can. There was mention of refurbishing the Tower block in the leaflet that came with all the forms as well as an initiative for the 60th birthday next year.

That's good to know that lots of info and demonstrations have been taking place regarding the chromebooks and that it has been well thought out. I'm guessing there will be similar information given to new parents on the new parents evening next month. It seems that it would be much simpler to support and manage any issues if the majority of students had the same model.

Thank you for your kind wishes, insight and advice regarding uniform day tomorrow, we will make sure we dress in cool clothing then, and bring cash for refreshments! Do you remember approximately how long it takes? Should we take bags to carry the uniform in or is it likely that we will have to pick it up at a later date?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Floodlight wrote: In terms of the cost, it is worth bearing in mind that most students have 'phones that cost more than a Chromebook!
Really? A cheap PAYG is advised in most schools I know.