Charitable donation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

petit-pois

Charitable donation

Post by petit-pois »

My Dd is starting at AHS this September. I've just come across a donation form that was supposed to be returned with all the other forms but it seems I overlooked so I'm going to send on. Would anyone know what the average is that most families donate?
Guest55

Re: Charitable donation

Post by Guest55 »

What are they going to spend it on? I would give anything until you know.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

The recommended for DS’s new school was £30 per month.
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

Guest55 - there was also a leaflet enclosed detailing past and future projects so I'm sure its not going to the Headteachers pension fund etc :lol:

Blueberry - Thanks, that's very useful
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AHS get additional funding from an Aylesbury charitable fund already - £30 a month is far more than many schools ask for.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Personally, I would hold off until your daughter is settled and you can determine where the genuine needs are and if they are areas you wish to financially support. I get the argument that like taxation, donations go into a general pot and are spent on a variety of things but the form of donation you mention doesn't sit well with me. I would prefer to judge each appeal on its own merits and donate discrete sums accordingly rather than set up a standing order which ends up being a permanent "tax" on you and a permanent revenue stream for the school which they include in their financial assumptions and which they come to rely upon.
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

What do the other schools ask for then Guest55? This is why I've asked the question as I have no idea

Hmm, I understand your point Anotherdad. Food for thought ...
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

petit-pois wrote:What do the other schools ask for then Guest55? This is why I've asked the question as I have no idea

Hmm, I understand your point Anotherdad. Food for thought ...
There seems to be a trend among some schools (seems to be just grammar schools but that's from a perhaps skewed sample of posters on here) to ask for regular monthly sums. Some make a suggestion, others imply it by providing an average. I wish schools were funded properly of course, but I can't shake the belief that being in a system where their students tend to come from wealthier families, grammar schools exploit that by asking for money where upper schools probably wouldn't dare to. All it does is increase the divide between the facilities they have and those of the other schools. More importantly, it exacerbates the perception that one must be well-off to attend a grammar school and has the potential to make those students whose parents can't afford to donate regularly feel bad about it. That's why I prefer discrete campaigns, because parents can choose whether to donate or not and can choose the amount they donate.

My advice, which is as a parent of an AHS pupil? Don't commit now, it's way too early. You will already be committed to a not insubstantial sum for uniform, PE kit, Chromebook and other stuff and you will no doubt have upcoming costs for DofE and school trips. Get settled and see how you might play a part in school life. Contributing your time to the school in some way is worth much more than simply funnelling cash to them every month - they won't value you for the latter but will for the former.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with anotherdad - I gave my 'time' by helping at school events and regularly attending concerts etc. My DS has left school and graduated so I'm out of date with what is 'typical'.

I've just checked and the Floyd ask for £10 a month but each current project is clearly described on the website. I would tend to support a specific project rather than chucking it into a 'pot'.
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

Yes, what you are both saying does make complete sense. We will let her settle in and then look at the best ways - financial and otherwise - in which we can contribute.

Thank you once again for your help :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now